Friday, November 11, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: 12 Volt Motor for Bow Thruster

 

Bow mount type electric trolling motor with remote controls?

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "solar.paul" <solar.paul@...> wrote:
>
> My 26 foot yacht has a long keel with a cutaway forefoot. Winds from the wrong direction and the boat's prop walk can make it difficult to manouver her in tight situations, especially in reverse. Last weekend I had a devil of a time getting her out of her slip - and I dream of canal cruising one day!
>
> I am now thinking of making my own bow thruster along the lines of the jet thrusters offered by Holland Marine Parts in the Netherlands. I race the boat weekly so don't want a tunnel thruster and there isn't room for a retractable thruster. Anyway the current products I have found are very expensive and way oversized for what I am looking for.
>
> I have come up with a preliminary design and one of the components I need to find is an electric motor to drive a high efficiency pump (I am looking at a 2 inch pump from www.fastflowpump.com). Based on what I have worked out so far I will need a (12 volt?) motor:
> * in the 1.5Kw to 2.0Kw range
> * which runs around 2,000 to 3,000 RPM
> * which will have very infrequent use (a duty cycle of maybe a couple of minutes at a time with long periods between uses)
> * which offers forward and reverse with equal efficiency
> * with variable speed (ideal but probably not essential)
> * is suitable for a marine environment
>
> If feasible to use my present batteries (12 volts) there will be a distance of approximately 6 to 8 feet between the batteries and the motor and a current of around 170 amps.
>
> I am hoping that some of you experienced folk in this group can comment and offer suggestions. I will be happy to explain my design further if that will help
>
> Thanks in advance
> Solar Paul
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment