Friday, August 6, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re The Bigger Picture

 

That is why the mission is so important. I plan on living aboard so getting somewhere is not really an issue. I look at the motor as an emergency or convenience to get out of trouble or out of a busy marina. I should have at any one time at least an hour of full throttle power available. If I get stuck out in the middle of the ocean with no wind...well how much more peaceful can it get. I have a good size battery bank for my living needs more so than for the motor. I also have to replace the weight I am taking out from the Atomic 4.

Here's a thought for a weekender that may not use the Atomic 4 all that much. a used golf cart motor and 6 or 8 used batteries, total cost $500.00 maybe. I am looking into it today. Hook it right up where the Atomic 4 was direct and see what happens. If it does not work sell the motor for $600.00 and reinstall the Atomic 4 all cleaned up. I am going to try the cheapest motor I can find first. Then if needed go with a better more expensive one. I like the idea of a magnet motor over a wound motor.

Dan

--- On Fri, 8/6/10, John Green <v_2jgree@operamail.com> wrote:

From: John Green <v_2jgree@operamail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re The Bigger Picture
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010, 12:18 PM

 

Dan, I think you have it nailed, I am actually getting way ahead of myself!
And, as a current non-sailor, I have no idea of my ultimate mission, as it will develop over time.
I have little intention right now of going anywhere near any marinas, unless forced to.
My plan is to sail, not to use it as a powerboat - if I was, I think that powerboats are a lot better as far as room inside goes.
My final cruising budget on pension when it kicks in (as of Jan 2012) fully will be about a grand a month.
I will pay for a tow the day they take my rigor mortis stiffened hands from the tiller or head pump handle!
So, I have to get less excited about the electric idea!!!!!
For now. It is made more difficult by looking at that Atomic 4 and just wanting to maybe use it as a mooring anchor! Even on it's own, 30 or so hp from a one litre or so engine seems poor.
I think I would be best continuing setting up the boat, making sure that my battery bank is definitely WAY larger than normal. I can use the convenience of the power for other things as well as propulsion.
Then, when funds permit, make a decision whether I want to fiddle with electric power, which is likely, or whether I want to take it as a sole propulsion option, which is less likely.
I looked into oars, by the way, and they don't cut it, due to stamina limitations!! I do intend having some available though - this is another advantage of having a smaller boat. And they are good for quick turns in close quarters.
I think that the electric outboard conversion is a great idea right now. Not with the Etek though, for my budget, unless Santa buys me one this December.
I can fiddle with an outboard unit, use automotive parts, or used motor sources, multiple motors, whatever, and see what occurs, and if it works out, then consider transferring it inboard, or maybe add it by making up one of those trunks that allow an outboard to be placed through the hull, as a second propeller. As a retired machinist, I can cobble things up!
Although aware of it, I hadn't even given thought to charging by generating while under sail! That has got to be a great way to go. Again, once I actually get the darn boat moving, I can fiddle with that, too. Might be a quieter option than wind power. And once set up, the price is right!
It is interesting though, that most discussions here are about batteries..........the fuel tank of the electric boat, but not the fuel.
So, maybe my mission ought to be to shut up for now, get the boat in the water, focus on a good battery bank, then once I have that, a 'charge as you sail' method. Once that is done, I can start getting into all this amps and volts and hours of power stuff, all the time seeing how I use heat, and what it costs.
I particularly like your thought of running out of power, and just saying anchored a few more days, or sailing a bit, then having the power drop from the heavens as a gift!

Thanks,
John

Posted by: "Daniel Michaels" nov32394@yahoo.com nov32394
Date: Thu Aug 5, 2010 8:59 am ((PDT))

John, you have to define your mission first then decide what you need.

First look at it like this. You have to fill up with fuel at some
point. Do the same thing with electricity. Pull into a marina and top
off your batteries while tied to the dock. Now you can look at it two
ways you paid for fuel and got free berthing, or you paid for
berthing and got free fuel. With diesel you get to pay for both.

Now look at another way. You are out on the water and you ruin out of
fuel. Your diesel will do you no more good. With electricity if you
have a generator (Wind solar or water) you can eventually get going
again.

If you are going to use the sail boat as a motor boat then electric
power is not really an option. If on the other hand you are out
sailing you can supplement the sail power with some electric power
and it will not cost you anything.

Define the purpose first then decide which is best for your
application. You can row also, or pay for a tow.

Dan

--
_______________________________________________
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment