Saturday, August 28, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: ASMOMarine Electric Motors

 



I have a solidnav explorer. I installed it 3 years ago and although I love the electric motor this system has had some shortcomings. First I was told it would work with my existing prop. When I could not push the boat more than 3.5 knots at full throttle, I was unhappy. Then with a prop upgrade I was doing well. The second year the forward/reverse controller stopped working altogether. Not sure what the problem was as it is just a magnet, but I got a replacement and no more problems till-. This year I was motoring along when suddenly a boat was stopped in front. I went for the reverse and no response. Turns out that the controller needs the shaft to slow down before reverse will work. When I tried to get help with this, I was left with no call backs. This is a small company run by a young man- Jason Russell. With the economy having it's woes over the past couple years and the boating industry slowing, his company I believe could not survive. The website is still up and he may call you (if you don't use my phone). But, for reliability and service, I have not found this to be the way to go. In my case, the Sevcon controller needs an update to correct the situation. I am now in the process of trying to do that myself. The drop in solution that is advertised is not quite what I have experienced. The worst thing to me was he knew the product had a problem (no reverse/brakes in my case). I think you owe it to your consumers and the general public to let them know and get things fixed before something bad happens. In my case no injuries or damage occurred, but I was lucky. I love the electric motor and will continue to work with what I have. Hope this helps in your decision making.
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sirdarnell" <sirdarnell@...> wrote:
>
> 48VDC Marine generators:
> http://www.polarpowerinc.com/products/generators/marine_genset_lomb.htm
>
> http://www.abovethewaterline.net/polar_gensets.htm
>
> There were several other options. I Googled "DC marine generator"
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "zendodeb" <zendodeb@> wrote:
> >
> > RE: 48 volt DC generators.
> >
> > In relation to the 20 hp diesel conversion to electric - this will only be feasible if I can find a generator at the right price. Because like it or not, I can't limit myself to the range provided by any reasonable battery bank. Even with regeneration, a trip from where I live to Sarasota on the intercoastal waterway (the only way to get to Sarasota in boat like mine - think draft - is at least 6 hours of motoring - depending on how long your have to wait for bridges.
> >
> > ALSO - certain inlets - John's Pass in Clearwater Florida, or Venice Inlet south of Sarasota are not the places you want to be short of power.
> >
> > So - I have been researching 48 volt DC generators. Off the shelf marine units. Non-marine, air-cooled units, and 48 volt alternators (and permanent magnet generators) that I would need to drive via some motor.)
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Curious: First you posted the list asking about "electric outboards" for
> > > salt water environment, then a minute later you post to the list indicating
> > > that at least one of the ASMO Marine's systems would work for you----yet
> > > nowhere on the ASMO Marine website do I see any OUTBOARD solution products
> > > offered. Sure, they offer inboard "systems" that could be adapted to an
> > > outboard, but the mounting differences make this an untenable
> > > solution---better to buy a Lynch motor (e.g. LEM200) directly and build your
> > > own mount/drive system for an existing outboard.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Anyway, your interest in and frustration with ASMO seems a bit at odds with
> > > your question regarding outboards for salt water use..and so I for one am
> > > confused----how can we help you exactly? What is it you're converting?
> > > Last you posted to the list you asked about 48v generators.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > -Moderator
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> > > On Behalf Of zendodeb
> > > Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 9:05 AM
> > > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: [Electric Boats] ASMOMarine Electric Motors
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Has anyone done business with these folks? I can't get them to answer my
> > > questions when I am hold a fist-full of money.
> > >
> > > Are they going to answer my questions once they have the money?
> > >
> > > I like the look of their systems. They have one (at least) that will work
> > > for me. But I find their lack of enthusiasm distressing.
> > >
> > > If SolidNAV will hurry up with their new/larger motor, they may get my money
> > > by default.
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment