Friday, August 27, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: battery bank upgrade

 

Drmsudo:

Yes the Dual Pro will not work well in driving the motor from the generator. But, it will help keep your batteries in the bank in balance. I use my Zivan NG-1 battery charger when I want to power the motor with the generator. It provides 16 amps into the system. Works well for my needs. I think Eric has an Elcon unit that provides a little more current. Keep the Dual Pro for charging at the dock. Just add another power supply/charger and you'll be good to go with the generator.

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: "drmsudo" <drmsudo@yahoo.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 22:29:40 +0000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: battery bank upgrade

 



Maybe my set up is not sufficient. I have a dual pro sportsman edition charger that I am using for my 4 battery bank system. My initial rational was to run the charger which would provide 10amps to each battery at max charge. But in my trials I could not see that I was holding a steady state charge. I have a PakTrakr that I use to monitor the system. When I use the initial set up of 100 amp max vs 200 amp max, I get two different readings (my system is 150 amp max). Anyway, when I played with the generator to run the motor, it did not appear to work well and I thought I was putting excessive stress on the battery bank (drawing and charging at the same time). I did not want to shorten or damage my current system so I have not messed with it since. I had called up dual pro to ask them about using the charger in this application and was told that it would work for awhile then the system would shut down because the computer chip would think something is wrong. To reset the dual pro you would just disconnect the power for a few seconds and it would go back to the initial charge setting. What kind of charger or set up would allow me to run the motor off my honda? Is there an AC/DC converter that is marine grade that someone has used?
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@...> wrote:
>
> DRMSUDO noted: "Yes, I own a honda 2000. In my experience the generator is
> only good for charging. I have tried to use it to drive the dc motor and it
> is just not powerful enough.. "
>
>
>
> The Honda EU2000i can continuously output up to 1.6kw. With enough charger
> onboard, I've successfully delivered 1.44kw into my pack for 17hours while
> cruising against the current. With a 48v pack as you have, this would be
> just about 30amps. This could double your range at 5knots or allow you to
> cruise indefinitely at up to 4knots. Attempting to draw any more than this
> power continuously will stop the generator, so you'd have to have a charger
> that is either adjustable or otherwise limited in the energy it draws. So
> YES, while the generator is only good for charging, that you can deliver up
> to 30amps into your battery bank with it means that you can draw up to
> 30amps less from your pack if you ran your generator and a properly sized
> charger while in a pinch.
>
>
>
> -Myles
>
>
>
> ._,___
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment