Monday, August 30, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Golf cart parts for sailboat

 

Myles,
 
Thanks for the response.  I was only looking at regen as one of the options for charging.  I'll mainly be day sailing so back in the slip with shore power will be the biggest charge factor.  Specs are a bit different.  The Cascade is one heavy boat!  about 8500 # dry weight.  21 LWL.  It seemed, at one time, I read an article (Nigel Calder?) about how he converted a boat in the similar size range with, basically, a golf cart.  Motor, controller, cabling, etc (he may have increased the bank for voltage).  The current propulsion is terrible!  Both transmission and throttle response are horrible.(in fact trans cable broke Saturday coming into the dock and I crunched the dock pretty good (stuck in forward)).  Single cylinder vibrates like one of those 70's motel beds.  The conversion is definitely on the list.  I just wasn't sure of the feasability of the golf cart solution. I may just take you up on the invitation (hopefully, before the season ends).  Right now I'm fixing 10 years worth of no maintenance (including new control cables!)
 
Brian.


From: Myles Twete <matwete@comcast.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, August 25, 2010 11:25:37 AM
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Golf cart parts for sailboat

 

Brian-

 

You could get a look at my electric conversion sometime---just downstream from you just below Vancouver at Caterpillar Island on the Columbia.

Mine's a converted outboard unit with up to 6 electric HP available from a single string 36v golf cart batteries.  My prop is a 12x12x3 brass spinning inside a 14" prop guard.  Mine is 26ft LOA and about 19' LWL with about 3500# overall weight I'd guess at this point.  Assuming your boat could run similar to mine----6knots with 6HP, 5knots with 3HP, 4knots with 1.5HP, 3knots with 650w or so, you can see that the range you'd have depends on speed.  With an inboard setup, you would likely want a reduction assembly unless going to something like the brushless AMeP motors, which may have a model out now that is rated 5HP steady.  As for regen, there are a lot of opinions out there---it's doable, but the benefits vary and depend on your usage.  If you want regen, you're best off buying a controller that has that built in.  Figure that, at best, with a setup that absorbs 6HP electric power max, in generation mode, you'll be hard pressed to get more than 1HP worth of electric power out---likely far less unless the wind is really pushing you hard.

 

Here's pics of my boat: www.evalbum.com/492

Email me offline and we can get you out on my boat sometime for a quick spin.

 

-Myles

 

 

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of brianmisner@rocketmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:51 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Golf cart parts for sailboat

 

 

Hello All,

Brand new to the group, and please forgive me if this thread has been talked about(and I'm sure it has). I have a Cascade 29 that is currently powered with a 12 Farryman, single cylynder (very annoying). With the 33 gallon fuel tank and the engine/trans assembly gone I would have a tremendous amout of room for banks/motor/controller.

Would a typical golf cart 36v or 48v set up work or would I still need a reduction assy? Will these set ups re-gen? I have shore power available for charge, as well as a 2KW gas genny. I could easily add wind/solar. No off-shore work. No extended motoring periods (Columbia river) Also I'm not sure how long a typical golf cart batt bank lasts. The boat is easily run up to hull speed with the farryman and a 12x 8, dbl bladed prop (could probably fit 13").

Obviously, on a budget with the current state of things. Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment