Saturday, August 7, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrids/combos

 

I think that if you are going to use a hybrid all you need to do is use a generator for the diesel and charge the batteries. If your generator was large enough it would power the electric motor. The right size electric motor has all advantages over an ICE. Think in terms of installing the generator in the Lazzrette and running the exhaust right out the top when needed. A small single piston diesel to run the generator would be all that is needed. In this case you could double up on the electric motors and have more power than you could ever need for emergencies. The advantage here is that you have instant power at all times. It gives you plenty of time to start the generator if needed. The generator could have extra pulleys for other attachments like water pumps. Just think of the bulge pump you could hook up to that. You could even get it to run on propane eliminating the need for an extra fuel type. Goes also back to mission. Ocean crossing (Leave it at home) Canal travel (bring it along) Short week end (leave it home) long weekend in and out of marina's (bring it along).

Dan

--- On Sat, 8/7/10, John Green <v_2jgree@operamail.com> wrote:

From: John Green <v_2jgree@operamail.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Hybrids/combos
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, August 7, 2010, 9:32 AM

 

Responding/commenting on two posts here,
Matti, I don't see a prob with making things more complicated, if it gives you a nice alternative when in trouble. I gave the second shaft idea some thought overnight (no, I don't have a life!) and it is maybe not as good a way to go as one shaft and prop, and some clutch method to engage either the ICE or the Electric, or both. Maybe a couple of airconditioner clutches off a car might have enough grip to drive things, if the power of each 'engine' were fairly low?
Rob, you sound like you are me in a few years time, on the hook!
I think that the answer for a combo propulsion system would be to go with a small diesel or gas engine, liquid cooled, so that the heat can be used more conveniently, and a reasonably small electric drive. The set up should allow both to be run together. But the ICE must be small, like a scooter engine, say 5 to 10 HP for a boat up to 30 foot, maybe? Trick is to find a watercooled scooter!

1b. Re: The Bigger Picture
Posted by: "MattiB" matikanpoika@yahoo.com matikanpoika
Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 10:52 am ((PDT))

Hei John

I see your point about going hybrid though I would not want to double
the potential sources of problems/time consumers on my sailboat :-).
I once read on a Swedish forum about someone who installed an
electric system in addition to his diesel engine on a second shaft.
He describes his setup on his English homepage:

http://magnuskrampell.wordpress.com/my-boat/3-adding-an-electric-engine/

I am not sure if it is a good solution, anyway he achieved full
triple redundant propulsion since it is a sailboat :-)

Other parallel setups are driving the same shaft, unfortunately I
have lost the link but if you are interested I am sure there are
others who can help you out.

Matti

1d. Re: The Bigger Picture
Posted by: "Rob Johnson" dopeydriver@yahoo.com.au dopeydriver
Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 11:40 am ((PDT))

In my case , I row out to my boat on its swing mooring in a 6ft 6 tender , but
its no problem for me to put in 2 10 litre fuel cans , which gives my boat an
extra 10 hours of running.
I can't "plug in" , so I'd have to rely on solar panels to do the job of
recharging batteries , and they (the solar panels) are too easily stolen .
A hybrid would be nice , but at this stage is not available in the smaller
horsepowers.
I'll put up with diesel for a while yet , until the hybrids are developed in
smaller horsepowers.
Rob Johnson

--
_______________________________________________
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment