Saturday, August 7, 2010

[Electric Boats] Hybrids/combos

 

Responding/commenting on two posts here,
Matti, I don't see a prob with making things more complicated, if it gives you a nice alternative when in trouble. I gave the second shaft idea some thought overnight (no, I don't have a life!) and it is maybe not as good a way to go as one shaft and prop, and some clutch method to engage either the ICE or the Electric, or both. Maybe a couple of airconditioner clutches off a car might have enough grip to drive things, if the power of each 'engine' were fairly low?
Rob, you sound like you are me in a few years time, on the hook!
I think that the answer for a combo propulsion system would be to go with a small diesel or gas engine, liquid cooled, so that the heat can be used more conveniently, and a reasonably small electric drive. The set up should allow both to be run together. But the ICE must be small, like a scooter engine, say 5 to 10 HP for a boat up to 30 foot, maybe? Trick is to find a watercooled scooter!

1b. Re: The Bigger Picture
Posted by: "MattiB" matikanpoika@yahoo.com matikanpoika
Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 10:52 am ((PDT))

Hei John

I see your point about going hybrid though I would not want to double
the potential sources of problems/time consumers on my sailboat :-).
I once read on a Swedish forum about someone who installed an
electric system in addition to his diesel engine on a second shaft.
He describes his setup on his English homepage:

http://magnuskrampell.wordpress.com/my-boat/3-adding-an-electric-engine/

I am not sure if it is a good solution, anyway he achieved full
triple redundant propulsion since it is a sailboat :-)

Other parallel setups are driving the same shaft, unfortunately I
have lost the link but if you are interested I am sure there are
others who can help you out.

Matti

1d. Re: The Bigger Picture
Posted by: "Rob Johnson" dopeydriver@yahoo.com.au dopeydriver
Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 11:40 am ((PDT))

In my case , I row out to my boat on its swing mooring in a 6ft 6 tender , but
its no problem for me to put in 2 10 litre fuel cans , which gives my boat an
extra 10 hours of running.
I can't "plug in" , so I'd have to rely on solar panels to do the job of
recharging batteries , and they (the solar panels) are too easily stolen .
A hybrid would be nice , but at this stage is not available in the smaller
horsepowers.
I'll put up with diesel for a while yet , until the hybrids are developed in
smaller horsepowers.
Rob Johnson

--
_______________________________________________
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment