Sunday, August 8, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric

 

I think what was said is that the batteries act as a buffer between the gen set and the motor. You can regulate the generator to produce different amounts of volts and do away with the controller as one suggested. You can also go 110 and convert back to DC to the motor. Just not as efficient, again as someone posted. You do nto need a BIG battery bank if you are going to run the generator each time. Only enough to get 36 or 48 volts. If you have 2 12v batteries all you need is 2 more to get 48v or one more to get 36v. You could also run it on 24v or even 12v using two motors in line. That way you would not need any more batteries at all. When using the generator the batteries would stay charged just like in the car. An added advantage would be you may be able to keep the batteries charged somewhat using the regen of the motor. If using a generator you do not need to separate the house and motor batteries. Just add one or two more or go 24v or 12v.

Dan

--- On Sun, 8/8/10, Pitt Bolinate <boombolinate@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Pitt Bolinate <boombolinate@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, August 8, 2010, 9:40 AM

 

Hi again

I think some of you misunderstand me, I do not want a bank of batteries to drive the boat.
I would like to drive the boat with the gen set when needed and totally avoid the batteries,

Sent from my iPad

Bolinate! Pitt




On Aug 7, 2010, at 6:40 PM, "Pitt" <boombolinate@ yahoo.com> wrote:

 

I am so completely overwhelmed with the talk on this site, I mean this in a good way. I am a watching member of a few different forums and I am trying to live the dream. I am the proud owner of a Formosa 41 Ketch (see photo kharmaseas ). I have spent a year pulling everything oily and diesel stinky out, and dreaming about using the space for nicer things. The lazzaret is big enough for a well mounted generator and therefore keeping the main cabin machinery free.

The whole package is 28 000 Lbs and the batteries are going to take all of the new found space. Honestly I would rather not bother with batteries and have a diesel/electric propulsion and really only sail with an emergency propulsion. I am starting to see the talk about honda generators being dodgy wired direct to the drive motor, am I correct this can be done?

I have a diesel / air cooled generator. PowR-Quip PQDE 6500 ( see photo diesel generator ) Would I be dreaming to hope that a air blower would be capable of cooling the generator down in the lazzeret and using this generator to run the electric drive motor direct. Then keeping the old house bank as it is, charging with solar and from the generator when needed I keep being turned off the project with almost everybody telling me the boat is too big and it would take too many batteries. A new marine generator is too far out of budget and I already have this one.
Some advice on electric motors would be welcome also,



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment