Monday, August 9, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric

 

I agree with Dan, picking your voltage is important. Realizing that you're aiming for a 14kW continuously rated system, a 48V drive will draw up to 300A, which requires some pretty serious wiring. Once you get to the 10kW and greater systems, higher voltages become much more common. Voltages that have reasonable support with ancilliary components like chargers and instrumentation are 72V, 96V, 120V and 144V. If I were installing a 14kW drive, I would go with 120V or greater.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Michaels <nov32394@...> wrote:
>
> You need to figure your volts first. That will tell you how many batteries you need. More volts = more RPM, more RPM means more hp. working with 12v batteries, 1 = 12v, 2 = 24v, 3 = 36v, 4 = 48v. 48v is pretty standard in terms of hp to move our boats.You can also double up motors in 48v to get more hp. These motors have shafts coming out both sides so you just hook them together. You could do the same thing with 24v systems and stay with the two batteries you have if 2, 24v motors gave you enough power.
>
> Dan
>
> --- On Sun, 8/8/10, Pitt Bolinate <boombolinate@...> wrote:
>
> From: Pitt Bolinate <boombolinate@...>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric
> To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
> Date: Sunday, August 8, 2010, 2:53 PM
>
>
> Mike I like your bucket term. I really don't know much as to what some of things talked about here are. I am determined to not re-power with a diesel. I am just outside the mainstream, I wanna electric boat group of commercial very involved off the shelf systems. I have the single cylinder diesel 6.5 kva generator, I actually have 3. I have the boat ( see the Kharmaseas photos ) I need a mentor and the group help sometimes stops seeing the givens, my lack of electrical knowledge. 
> I am in the bay area and would like to invite someone out there to point me down a path of learning. I could also be out of my depth, but I am pretty much done with the strip out and
> looking to learn to build a specific system, keeping it as simple as safety allows. I am very committed to doing this.
>
> I have a fairly sturdy pair of starter bank batteries that could be the bucket maybe add one? Used between the gen and the drive motor, then i would have a few minutes power to move away from other boats without the generator noise, Correct? But the generator running constant to charge the batteries/drive motor to outrun a storm would the work as well? Sent from my iPad
> Bolinate! Pitt
>
> On Aug 8, 2010, at 9:03 AM, "Capt. Mike" <biankablog@verizon. net> wrote:
>
>
> I agree with Eric. Think of the battery bank like a bucket with a drain that is connected to the motor. You fill the bucket with energy from a generator, wind and/or solar panels. How fast you drain the bucket depends on the speed you run the motor. Also the bigger the battery bank (bucket) the more you can travel before you need to refill it. You can certainly do short trips with the energy stored in the bucket but eventually you will need to refill the bucket. If you just have a generator hooked to the motor you will always be depending on that generator working with no battery. back up to get you out of trouble.
>
> Capt. MikeSent from on board BIANKA
> http://biankablog. blogspot. comFrom: "Eric" <ewdysar@yahoo. com>
> Sender: electricboats@ yahoogroups. com
> Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:30:48 +0000To: <electricboats@ yahoogroups. com>ReplyTo: electricboats@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric
>
>
> One of the conversion factors used around here for sizing electric drives is 1kW of electric power for each ton of boat displacement. Given the size of your boat, you're looking at a system that can run at 14kW or around 19hp. This sizing is to provide basic safety manuevering in the times that you need it, not blazing performance....
>
>
> Assuming that you have an electric drive system and generator are matched in voltage and electricity type (ac or dc) Your're going to need 14kW of generator. I'me assuming that you're thinking about this conversion becasue you already have this generator. Youre going to need at least one more just like it, or replace it with a properly sized one. Realistically, once you add in losses for a controller and voltage conversion, you're going to need something with more than 16kW of capacity to power your 14kW drive....
>
>
> Fair winds,
>
> Eric
>
> Marina del Rey, CA

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment