Monday, June 14, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Batteries

 

 
Almost every boat I've seen thus far, that's set up for overnight cruising has appliances that are engergy hogs and a second set of appliances that are less efficient(usefulness-wise), but require far less electrical energy. One guy ran all his energy-hog appliances on and off grid with BIG inverters. I don't think I'll even have an inverter.  All they seem to do is invite higher engery use.
 
My feeling is doing everything from a conservation standpoint and reducing my power-needs to the absolute minimum(including the motoring needs).  1-2 knots is satisfactory.
 
ANYWAY . . . am I correct in thinking that as long as "a" charge is taking place, that sultafacation(sp), will not take place?
 
John Francis
Pearson 26
Port Clinton, Ohio
 
 
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM, desulfator <desulfator@yahoo.com> wrote:


The short answer is none, as I have no experience with desulfators others have designed or have copied from my designs.

In June, 2000 a fellow by the name of Alastair Couper published the first desulfator designed for home use in Home Power magazine.  He created a BBS, which still exists today for home experimenters.  I am a moderator of that board (desulfator2).  I have uploaded the original Home Power article to the files section.

http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yuku.com/

Since then, 95% of the desulfators on the market are copies or derivatives of that original design.  They use a modified buck and boost (inductive flyback) circuit that pulses the battery.  They tend to have a recovery rate of about 1-2 pounds of battery per day.

Since 2000, I have continued to research faster methods of desulfation.  I had a breakthrough in 2005 when I was contracted to design a fast desulfator for a US Air Force communications facility.  I provided 3 prototypes.  The last one was the charm and desulfated a 400 pound battery in record time (3 weeks).  Since then I have doubled the desulfation rate.  This summer or fall I plan on prototyping a more powerful design.

Sooooooooooo, I've had no interest in other designs, preferring to continue research ever faster pulser designs.  Some years ago I managed to accidently desulfate a pair of L-16's in about 10 seconds.  The results were poor as the sulfates were literaly blown off of the plates and the batteries were ruined in the process.  But, it taught me some important lessons about the path to take.  :)

It is one of the reasons I have an interest in electric boats.  I know that lead acid batteries can last longer than 30 years if properly maintained.  The trick is to keep them from getting sulfated.  Permanent damage only occurs from cycling a sulfated battery or too heavy charge/discharge currents.  Since batteries can be cheaply recharged they seem an ideal marine drive power source for weekend boating.



Don, what commercially available desulfators would you recommend?



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
   electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
   electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment