Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Electrical 'efficiency' of batteries in my boat.

 

I think i should emphasise that i'm really talking about a FLOAT charge voltage .This is safe for long term maintanance if your charger has this facility or you use a purpose made good quality float charger. A TRICKLE charger may provide too much current. Often the two terms get confused.

Chris S

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Shallard <sshallard@...> wrote:
>
> I have 4 Lifeline AGM batteries which I charge with a Dual Pro 4 bank
> charger.
> It is a Marine charger and I mounted it in the boat. It is s smart
> charger and reduces to a trickle. I keep it plugged in all year. It
> has LCD readout so you can get a pretty good idea where each battery
> is at when charging. The AGM's are expensive however I keep the boat
> in the basement when charging and preferred the idea of the AGM's in
> the closed space-no off-gas . Supposedly have more charge cycles etc
> but I suspect even over the batter life the Trogan's or similar llead
> acid will work out cheaper.
> On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:13 AM, hardy71uk wrote:
>
> > Trojan recommends charging with a standard charger every month or
> > so during storage . Which is probably good enough. But i do know
> > that to get maximum battery lifetime, professional companies, such
> > as for telephones use a constant voltage float charger avoiding the
> > need for a monthly big charge altogether and avoiding battery
> > cycling. The maintaining current is very small so a light cable at
> > 36 volts could be used rather than a line chord .
> >
> > Chris S
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Geier <matthew@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > On 28/06/10 19:47, hardy71uk wrote:
> > > > 6 weeks since a charge seems a long time . I would have thought
> > you should be trickle charging contiuously at less than 1 amp to
> > maintain the battery except when recharging after a run.
> > > >
> > > I don't have an external power socket, the boat is charged by
> > putting
> > > a power cord under my front door. One of these days I need to get an
> > > external weather proof socket on the side of the house where the
> > boat is
> > > parked.
> > >
> > > And the Delta-Q charger actually shuts off entirely when it's fully
> > > charged, I assume if left powered, at regular intervals it would
> > tickle
> > > the batteries to keep em topped off.
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment