Monday, June 21, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: ETEK brush life findings

 

Thanks for the good info Myles. It's always nice to see real-world info on how things are working out for others. One Etek installation I've been involved with has been going for 6 years now. It's a 36V system with one of my brother Scott's early prototype controllers. I don't think you mentioned what kind of amp draws you typically run at. This one spends much of it's time at around of 75A, with similar run times to yours. I'm not a motor expert but one would think that how hard you run it would have an effect on brush wear. Even so, if your experience is any indication I'm guessing the batteries (T-105s) will expire before the brushes wear out. Then it will be time for some maintenance.
I also have an old Duffy launch that I re-powered with a brand-new Etek last fall. It sees much lighter usage, so I shouldn't have to worry about that one for a while!
Let me know if you decide to give up one of your spare brush sets or hear of any sources. I like that motor, it's too bad they quit making it.
Cheers,
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> It's been about 7 years now since I installed a B&S Etek motor on my
> outboard.
>
> Until yesterday, I had never taken the brush assembly off to check brush
> wear.
>
> Looking at the 8 brushes, the following was noted:
>
> · Brush length was reduced about 50%, about ½" left of the original
> approx. 1"
>
> · Brush length varied among the 8 brushes—or so it appeared. The
> reality is that the routing of the brush wire to 2 or 3 of these brushes
> makes them spring out about 1/16" less than the others. This will result in
> these brushes (and circuits) being the first to stop allowing current to
> flow.
>
> · Brush dust was everywhere in the brush housing. Not caked in, but
> more than I'd expected. Greater forced air flow thru the motor would be
> advisable. I use a 48v Papst 6" muffin fan running on 36v, located above
> the brush housing and pulling the brush dust up thru the motor, the brush
> housing, the fan and then out. The strategy is right, but it probably would
> be good to increase the flow rate to get more of this brush dust out.
>
>
>
> Now, I'd estimate that this boat has averaged 30 outings per year, with a
> run time of 2 hours per outing and spinning at an average of 1600RPM. So in
> 7 years, the motor has operated about 420hours and turned something like
> 11-million revolutions.
>
> Assuming the same usage rate going forward, this brush assembly will last at
> least 5 more years, giving about 12-years on a set.
>
> I have 2 spare brush assemblies…the question is, will the boat, the motor
> and I live long enough to use all 3 of these brush sets?
>
>
>
> Does anyone have a source for replacement brushes themselves for the ETEK
> motor?
>
> If I had a good source for brushes, I'd offer my spare brush housings for
> sale.
>
>
>
> -Myles
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment