Friday, May 22, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Time to re-power

I'd also recommend the folks at Thunderstruck 👍

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 8:21 AM Larry Brown <elcapitanbrown@gmail.com> wrote:
Mine is Thunderstruck too.  For your size boat you can go with air cooled but need to make sure to get and engine compartment fan to circulate air.  No more water intake to get clogged with sea grass or some idiot's shopping bag floating by as you motor.  One of the beauties of the system.  It should push you just fine.  I use a couple eu2000 generators as backup for long distance trips but for day trips where you need a couple hours at most you can get by on batteries.

Anyway, good luck.  

Larry


On May 21, 2020, at 11:01 PM, Ryan Sweet <ryan@ryansweet.org> wrote:


Do you have a link for the batteries you had success with? There are so many on offer and it seems quite hard to find much info about each company except for the us based ones and those are all twice as expensive (I recognize that this is possibly for good reasons). 

On May 21, 2020, at 18:14, L Schmitz via groups.io <terminalift=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


I have had good luck with my 10kw thunderstruck kit too. First installed 4  agm batteries   12v 220 ah. Then after 2 years replaced with lifepo4. An excellent upgrade I assembled 4 battery boxes with 3.2v 90ah cylinders. Each box 4P4S Then installed an ant bms for balancing. The monitor is very good  for checking your system. If you decide to assemble your own battery system invest in a Flir Heat sensor. The Flir connects to your I phone. You aim it at your wiring assembly under load. It detects hot spot areas of concern in your connections. Battery, contactor ,controller and motor connections. 48 v 360 ah gives plenty of run time at 40 to 90 amp load. 

Best regards,
Larry Schmitz



On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 4:16 PM, Reuben Trane via groups.io <rjtrane=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Go to thunderstruck-ev.com and look at their kits. I purchased 2 ea for my 12m Power cat. For your needs a 5kW to 10kW motor should do the job. Hard part is figuring out the reduction. I chose 3:1 to get a max prop RPM of 800.

48Vdc woks best. If it's in your budget assemble a battery from LiFePo4 cells

Feel free to ask me about my installation.

Reuben


_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30462) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment