Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Proper propellor

(Real quick, I think that Bryan at Valley prop)

For anyone looking to match a prop for your boat, check out vicprop.com and there is a link for calculators.  Fill in your boat's features (Thunderstruck 10k RPM max is 2400) and 13HP.  This will get you close.  I don't know what exactly we would change on this calculation to be more of a match for the electric motor but it uses the horsepower, gear ratio and rpm (I believe) to arrive at Total available torque ft/lbs at the engine, power loss at the gear and Total horsepower at the propeller and torque ft/lbs at the propeller.  I assume they did their formula based on a combustion engine and it does not ask that question.  It also assumes the desired speed should be achieved at 90% of the throttle in that combustion engine.  

For all you electric motor guys what are your thoughts on what the difference would be for the electric motor and how it would effect these calculations?  Electric motors are supposed to have more torque right?  Would that mean a propeller better adapted would have a 10% larger diameter for the same effect, a 5% higher pitch or the opposite?  Is it better economy in amps to spin the motor slower with more resistance or higher with less resistance or is it a wash and either way exerts the same energy?  Seems like if it's equal, slower would be less wear and tear on bearings etc.



On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:17 AM theresa Montya <montyakid@gmail.com> wrote:
Tom, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking we need to get a new prop too. We have a 1979, 27 ' hunter about 7,000 displacement.  Spring break 2019 we went electric using  the 10 kw Motor from thunder struck... I feel our big gal is a little wimpy when we're backing out of our slip and fighting a little wind..(we jokingly call it the harbor parade).   
All that said we do love being electric... it's been very reliable and gets us where we need and that makes me very happy.  I plan to talk to your prop guy.

Theresa & Jay from Texas



On May 18, 2020, at 1:54 PM, tom@tsteininc.com wrote:


I bought a prop from Ryan at Valley prop in California to replace the original two bladed prop from the diesel on my 1980 O'Day 30'. The new prop is a 15" 9.5 pitch three blade. I've got the Thunderstruck 10KW kit with 4 12 volt AGM batteries.  The new prop is like night and day in terms of propulsion efficiency.  I thank whoever told me about Valley Prop and recommend them.



tom@tsteininc.com
850 259-8600

Thos. Stein Inc. 
78B Ricker Ave. 
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

Florida underground utility contractor license RU0058046
Florida plumbing contractor license RF0057995


On May 18, 2020, at 07:07, Larry Brown <elcapitanbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

On this subject I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a prop.  I have an email out to the prop guys in California Bob mentioned to see what they say.  But here's my thinking...

I have only been on two trips that had overnight sails.  On both of them I picked up crab traps.  I used to have a full keel monohull and never suffered such a thing.  Now I realize everyone's pain.  I seriously want to bet a folding prop.  Reading some reviews it looks like Flexofold is the best folding prop out there.  My current prop is a two blade 18".  Not sure of the pitch.  I plan on moving to the 3:1 reduction from my current 2:1.

The highest pitch flexofold offers is 16 for the 18".  It's expensive for sure but slipping by the crab traps would be much more desirable.  Questions are whether the pitch is enough and and will the 3:1 work well with the 18" prop.

Motor is the Thunderstruck 12kw 48v

The current 3 kt performance has to go.

Larry

On Mar 7, 2020, at 8:32 PM, Bob Jennings <heatnh@gmail.com> wrote:


Part of the problem with heading into a 15 knot wind with gusts...   First off it's a sailboat, they get blown around while motoring. 
Secondly, you just don't have enough headway.  Unlike our ICE counterparts you're in a boat that utilizes an electric drive so like all of us, you're light on the throttle in order to extend range.
Ask me how I know this :)

Prop, on my 28', currently running a 4 bladed 12x12.5 meant for a wakeboard boat. I started out with a 14x10 3 bladed. Imo, get rid of that 2 bladed prop.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020, 5:31 PM <tom@tsteininc.com> wrote:
I've got an O'Day 30' with a Thunderstruck 10K motor, 2:1 reduction and 4 AGM batteries.  I've got the original 16" pitch 9, 2 blade prop that was powered by a 16HP Universal when the boat was built. I'm convinced there must be something more efficient. I can't even maintain a course into a 15mph wind.  
I'm with Jeff looking for suggestions




tom@tsteininc.com
850 259-8600

Thos. Stein Inc. 
78B Ricker Ave. 
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

Florida underground utility contractor license RU0058046
Florida plumbing contractor license RF0057995



--
Larry Brown
S/V Trident
Palm Harbor, FL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~~
    ~     ~          ~~           ~
~           ~~_/)    ~      ~ ~        ~
     ~                  _/)          ~
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30441) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment