Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Yahoo Groups

 

I looked into groups.io and there seems to be a problem. Even if we get the Premium subscription, it only includes 10GB of storage. With images, that would get used up quickly. And we would also have to continually pay the premium rate $220/year, or go down to 1GB of storage, which is effectively no storage.

We could just let users self host images and attachments and link to them, but then you end up with broken links over time.

We could setup our own site, and install phpBB, which is a free bulletin board. Then we would have a yearly cost for hosting it.

I am a developer, and I would be willing to contribute some time to move it over to whatever we think is best.

My opinion, would be to pay the $220 for the first year, so we can import everything, then let people host their own images/files. I would kick in $20.

Any thoughts or ideas?




On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 5:49 AM Jeff LaCoursiere jeff@jeff.net [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 


I'm not (too) old, but I feel exactly the same.  Facebook is the root of most of the evil in the world today, and I won't have any part of it if I can help it.

j

On 10/27/19 2:07 PM, DAN HENNIS dhennis@centurytel.net [electricboats] wrote:
 
This may be all god and fine for all you "Twitchy-Face-crap-labotamised" folk, but some of us (i think older folk) don't do that crowd.  As for myself, If I have to open a face-crap account, I will kindly say my adieus here and now.  I have successfully stayed out of social media, and although I really like this group and the wealth of information and news-worthy updated contained herein.  I firmly resist joining any social clubs.  I am too old and have too much of a private life of my own, to be staring at a computer screen into everybody elses.  Sorry if I offended, but I felt it needed to be said.  I wish you all well in the final direction you go.

Best regards,
Dan H.



----- Original Message -----
From: rob@paperclip.org.uk [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups..com
Sen t: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 15:51:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Yahoo Groups





 

The logical forum to move to is this: supported by the Electric Boat Association:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/electricboatsandships/





--
Dan Hennis
CTR Services
P.O. Box 254
14237 FR 1155
Cassville, MO  65625-0254
417-396-0228


__._,_.___

Posted by: Kev <captainyoung@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment