Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] phasing into electric drive

 


Questions for the group:
1.Can I put an extra 12 volt battery into the output (motor circuit )of the kelly controller to get a 30 second surge (60 Volts) when and if I need it? provided I don't exceed the 200 amp limit.

I used a controller rated to 15 to 90 volts at 15 amps.
I connected it to a 48 volt bank and did like you are thinking, added a 2nd 48 volt bank to the end of the string.

I heard a hiss and then a bang and all the smoke came out.

It didn't work well with the controller I tried.




From: "jortlif@msn.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:59:09 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] phasing into electric drive

 
Hello group,
Have been reading these very interesting posts for the past couple of years and finally decided to break my silence to share and get ideas. I have a 38 FT sailboat with an  aging and leaking Perkins 4-108 (called a 50 HP but probably only develops 40 hp). Even though it's a 1983, it still starts and runs well. In anticipation of the day it stops, over the past two years I have fitted a used Brushed DC ME0709 on top the transmission with vbelt drive to a pulley on the prop shaft. The ratio is about 3:1 reduction. It was originally a chain drive but the noise was unacceptable. If I really get serious I would go brushless but for now it's just trials on a low budget.

Not having a controller yet, I rigged up high current solenoids to provide 12 volts, 36 volts, and 60 volts as well as reverse. Because I was concerned about the high surge current, I have a home-made drop resistance coil which takes it initial surge and can the be shorted out. The voltages come from tapping into the battery bank at different places. Did my first test last weekend. 
The ME0709 is rated at 24-72 volts.Still waiting for my digital ammeter but this is about what I found:

1. While sailing, with the transmission in neutral I start charging my 12 volt house battery at about 4 kts, and probably get up to 20 amps charging at 6 kts. This alone is a good outcome. Keeps my refrigeration going without depleting batteries.
2.With sails depowered, at 36 volts I can move this 20,000 lb boat at about 2 kts to 3.5 kts depending upon wind and sea conditions. Guessing amperage is about about 45 amps- (1600 watts or 2 hp???)
3. At 60 volts, really did not see much increase in speed, but I believe belt drive was slipping, Did not do it for very long due to mechanical and electrical   concerns.

I do have a 5000 watt separate diesel genset (125vac @ 40 amps) which I could use if batteries run down. I also have lots of room for whatever batteries I need

Obviously, like most of you,  I don't want to spend big bucks till I get good data. I purchased a used Kelly KDZ48200 controller so I can get rid of the drop resistor. It's pretty small for the motor, but the price was right. It is designed for 48 volts Max and 200 amps max- 80 continuous. It's called a 2KW rating but 80 amps and 48 volts  is more like 4KW. 95% of the time I will only be running at low power, so no problem as back-up hobble-home power

Questions for the group:
1.Can I put an extra 12 volt battery into the output (motor circuit )of the kelly controller to get a 30 second surge (60 Volts) when and if I need it? provided I don't exceed the 200 amp limit.
2. Is the output of the MOSFET controllers such that two units can be paralleled for more current @ 48 v?

3. Is the output of the MOSFET controllers such that two units can be put in series for more for more voltage. example 36V + 36V = 72 volts

I really admire all the people on this website who have done interesting and innovated projects. Thanks for contributing you ideas.

Art
Sailing Barnegat Bay NJ
 


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mark F <mark.internet@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment