Wednesday, July 23, 2014

[Electric Boats] Timing Belt Drive Coupling

 

Want to share some findings on my 38 ft sailboat, and ask a question. Initial testing with an ME0709 Motor belt coupled to propeller shaft behind the Hurst transmission on  my diesel provided pretty decent electric drive results. The Drive ratio was about 2.75:1 between motor and prop shaft. Even though the motor was capable of accepting 24 to 72 VDC, I found running at between 36 and 48 Volts provided satisfactory results, considering I still have a working 50 HP diesel when needed.


In order to transmit the motor torque at 48 Volts, I had to jump up to a BX cogged V-belt. It seemed to operate without slippage. However the relative friction was too great to be really useful for regeneration. With a lighter "A" size belt I was able to charge my 12 volt house battery by allowing the prop to drive the motor while sailing at anything over 4 knots. This is a very useful benefit considering 90% of my time on the water is sailing.


So in order to have both low friction and good torque transmission, I think my next iteration  will be to a single timing belt drive. Looking for suggestions on type and size of timing belt assuming I need to transmit at most 8 HP with about 1500 RPM at smaller pulley


Thanks

Art

 

__._,_.___

Posted by: jortlif@msn.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Yahoo Groups
Improved Group Homepage!
The About page of your Group now gives you a heads up display of recent activity, including the latest photos and files

Yahoo Groups
Control your view and sort preferences per Yahoo Group
You can now control your default Sort & View Preferences for Conversations, Photos and Files in the membership settings page.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment