Monday, July 28, 2014

[Electric Boats] DCDC converters -- efficiency...

 

Hi Group,

I am just finishing up the electrical install on my boat and am getting
ready for launch.
I determined that my house 12V battery didn't do well over the winter so
I am replacing it with a DCDC converter.
I used the Delta B70SR12424A from Digikey at $118 (and shockingly fast
delivery...)

It purports to be around 90% efficient which I think is great for a 300W
converter, but this still means 30W of heat to remove.

Today, I came across this:
http://www.eetimes.com/video.asp?section_id=124&doc_id=1321583
which talks about the LT3791 buck-boost converter IC from Linear
Technology.
This chip can handle up to 100W input at 4.7-60V in and produce 5-60V
output at up to 98.5% efficiency.
Now, a 3 of those paralleled could give the same 300W converter with
only 6W of heat to remove.

Is this on the map for any of the DIYers out there?
The unit cost at Digikey is about $10ea.
It could definitely be useful as a 12V house battery charger.

Cheers,

/Jason

--
Jason Taylor
--
S/V Fugu
1978 Beneteau First 30
Electroprop PM-20

__._,_.___

Posted by: Jason Taylor <jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Yahoo Groups
Instantly Preview Links Before your Click in Groups
Links in Group messages now display a preview image and snippet from the web page


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment