Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Max Torqeedo 801 voltage

 

I suspect the 36v wouldn't hurt the motor, but I'm concerned about the other (ie, controller) electronics built in the unit. And then there would be the heat issue...

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Arby Bernt <arbybernt@...> wrote:
>
> The motor current is the limiting factor, not the voltage.
> The prop will affect the torque curve. Current generates torque.
> Voltage makes speed. If the prop holds the speed down with a
> torque load, the speed will never peak. If you find the speed
> Increased right up to WOT, then more voltage will provide
> additional speed. If reach peak prop speed at half WOT, your motor torque is not powerful enough, then you're over propped. Most controllers are matched to motors and limit current.
>
>
> Be Well,
> Arby
>
> On May 11, 2011, at 5:38 AM, "F Neil Simms" <f.neil.simms@...> wrote:
>
> The specs for the Torqeedo 801 state: "The BaseTravel 801 operates with a power supply of between 20 V and 33.6".
>
> Anybody ever tried 36 volts with one of these? 33.6 seems an odd top limit...
>
> What are the odds 36 volts would fry it?
>
> Running it at 24 volts (off two 110AH 12v AGM batteries in series), I got 5 mph on my Harpoon 5.2 yesterday, about 1250 lbs all up with crew aboard. Not bad. I was able to put at most 23 amps into it, for ~550 watts. The motor is supposed to do 800 watts, but I'm suspecting this is only obtainable (if it is at all) with the 29.6v Lithium pack. Might also be a limitation of the prop WRT the Harpoon weight/resistance.
>
> If 36v is too much, I'm also thinking about a 30v AGM battery bank. Ultimately I plan to pick some LifePO4's and build a 9 or 10 cell pack.
>
> I want to use this motor on my new build, a 24' x 2.5' "canoe launch", and am trying to see what I can coax out of it...
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment