Friday, May 20, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric dory

 

The dory design is a very efficiant displacement hull. especially the sweet pea with its double chine. I use a cheap ( around $110 new ) minn kota 30lbs. thrust trolling motor on a 12 ft. aluminum boat that is designed to be a planing hull and with me @ 250lbs and my kid @ 65lbs. and our gear it still pushes us faster than I can row. I would recomend maybe a 12v 45 - 50 lbs thrust trolling motor. at half power you should have plenty of speed and an easy 2 to 4 hour endurance with an average boat battery. plus lots of power reserve for windy conditions. the added benefit of the set up is no modifications to your hull. just clamp it on and go. even if you have no transom, the motor swivels 360 degrees, so just clamp it on the side.Happy boating.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "darrenstuartprice" <wally1968@...> wrote:
>
> I have just built a 15 foot 7 dory shaped boat designed by Phil Bolger called sweet pea , unfortunately due to medical problems I may never be able to row it long distances from now on , can some one give me a few ideas about my options for electric power , only want it to be as fast or slightly faster than rowing but I want a range of several hours cruising time .
> Darren
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment