Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid motors

 

Well , I've been advised that the Ultra Hybrid system will be available in July/August , out of Holland.
No idea of price yet.
I've also been told that what I propose to do is already being done in Sweden , fisherman trolling with hybrid powered boats , using the electric power for 2-3 knot trolling.
Sounds good to me !.
Rob J.


From: Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@yahoo.com.au>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 6 May, 2011 8:02:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid motors



Mike , my intention is to set up something like a 27 ft , 4 ton motor sailer cray boat for trolling.I still haven't decided on which of many boats available to go with .
I am on a swing mooring , so I have no shore power.
My base requirement is to be able to troll out 42 NM at 4 knots , troll the tuna grounds till I get my tuna quota , then troll , or probably motor back .
But I'll be doing much bigger trips than that.
Sure , I prefer to be sailing , but the basic requirement is for a reliable , functional unit , that can do the job asked of it.
What I propose should work well , but I just cannot get ANY performance data on the Mastervolt Drivemaster Hybrid !.
I find it incredible that I'm expected to throw away money the price of the boat , on something I can't get any info on !. 
I know I'm on the right track , as far as the boat goes , I see plenty of examples of diesel powered boats doing what I want , in fact I spoke to an owner just yesterday , who had an incredible example of a converted cray boat.
It had in it a legendary Gardner 5LW , an extremely economical , tough , marine engine.
He could just idle it around , at 400 RPM (340NM) for weeks , day and night nonstop , motorsailing , at trolling speed.
The boats I am looking at have Perkins in them , so I'm looking at something to provide the low speed constant work.
I just need to know what I can expect from the electric motors.
Are they up to it ? .
Would I be better off just sticking to the diesel ?.
Rob J. 


From: "mikegunning@ymail.com" <mikegunning@ymail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, 5 May, 2011 4:36:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Hybrid motors

Rob,
I first like looking at the vessel and your type of sailing.  Then why do you want a hybrid or an electric drive?  What are the dimensions of your boat.  With a 50hp motor, I would suspect that it has a significant displacement.  Will you be doing medium or long range cruising? I agree that the economics of the systems do not always or even usually work out better for electric than diesel.  That does not seem to the the reason most electric users go electric.  How important is quiet, non smokey, and clean.  Is the ability to motor sailing while enjoying the sensation of sailing more than motoring important?
Sometimes it does not work in a specific boat and sailing agenda.
Mike
Electric Yachts of Southern Califonia 

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> I'm getting some valued help from a member of this forum , to source a
> Drivemaster Ultra Hybrid 7.5 KW at a reasonable price .
> But now , some more questions.
> Can anyone find reliable performance figures for this motor ?.
> I believe , as a generator , it can produce 5KW . Does anyone have reliable
> performance figures , and what sort of ICE is required to produce this power ?.
> In other words , if my engine is producing 50hp , how much of that is driving
> the generator , and how much is driving the boat ?.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wed, 20 April, 2011 3:26:27 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Hybrid motors
>
>
>
>
> Well , I've found that some of the hybrid motors can't handle being hooked to
> anything more powerful than a 40hp diesel.
> I was eyeing off the Hybridmaster 9.6 to hook on to a Perkins 108 , but no can
> do it seems.
> Incidently the Hybridmaster , only good for slow speed stuff for me , cost as
> much as the whole boat !.
> But I've been assured that the Drivemaster Ultra Hybrid 7.5kw will be able to
> handle the Perkins , and give me slow speed work.It looks a strong unit.
> I still haven't got a price though.
> I priced the STEYR hybrid 7.5 kw hooked to their smallest 55 hp diesel , that
> should get me to 5 knots flat out with the electric on calm waters , which is ok
> by me.
> But the whole hybrid setup alone costs 250% of what I paid for the boat , with
> the good Perkins in it.
> Then there was the battery packs.
> Starting from $4247 for 4 lead acid batteries and charger , to $19,665 for 2
> Lithium Ion battery packs , with all of the gizmos that have to go with it , it
> seems.
> But that means I'd be paying 400% of what I paid for the boat , for no extra
> power , just a slow speed capability !.
> Oh , it would be very very good , but thats a lot of money . If I put it in to
> diesel , well I wouldn't make a dent in it.
> Very discouraging !. 
> Rob J.
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment