Sunday, May 22, 2011

[Electric Boats] Throttle pot question

 

Hi,

Just installed a new Sevcon controller (don't ask...) and as a result had to put a new wiring harness in (the old Sevcon PMAC's for brushless are EOL btw - if you want spares, now is the time to hunt one up)

The new harness came with a (very cheap) slider pot for the throttle, and it's way too sensitive (1/4" in either direction is full speed). Luckily I killed it with corrosion :) so I put a rotary pot in that I happened to have. That works a little better, but still too sensitive, and still exposed to the elements. But, it does fwd/rev without having a separate switch, which is nice.

I have my old Curtis PB-6 throttle which I loved because it works off my pedestal's (mechanical) throttle lever and so was out of the elements belowdecks. But it was wired in a way that I had to have a fwd/rev switch in addition to the throttle. It has a 0-5K pot in it and presumably the pot is oriented so that at rest it's at zero. If I just rotate that pot 90 degrees (so that zero is now center of the range) - will that give me the fwd/rev I need? Is it OK to use a 5K pot instead of a 10K? (fwiw I think the old controller spec'd a 10K pot as well...but it came with the 5K)

thx

-Keith

BTW - the new controller doubled regen - I can get almost 2amps (100watt) in bursts (I asked thunderstruck to drop the braking force quite a lot - maybe it's that, or just the new controller is more efficient)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment