Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Max Torqeedo 801 voltage

 

The motor current is the limiting factor, not the voltage. 
The prop will affect the torque curve. Current generates torque. 
Voltage makes speed. If the prop holds the speed down with a 
torque load, the speed will never peak. If you find the speed
Increased right up to WOT, then more voltage will provide 
additional speed. If reach peak prop speed at half WOT, your motor torque is not powerful enough, then you're over propped. Most controllers are matched to motors and limit current.  
 

Be Well,
Arby

On May 11, 2011, at 5:38 AM, "F Neil Simms" <f.neil.simms@gmail.com> wrote:

 

The specs for the Torqeedo 801 state: "The BaseTravel 801 operates with a power supply of between 20 V and 33.6".

Anybody ever tried 36 volts with one of these? 33.6 seems an odd top limit...

What are the odds 36 volts would fry it?

Running it at 24 volts (off two 110AH 12v AGM batteries in series), I got 5 mph on my Harpoon 5.2 yesterday, about 1250 lbs all up with crew aboard. Not bad. I was able to put at most 23 amps into it, for ~550 watts. The motor is supposed to do 800 watts, but I'm suspecting this is only obtainable (if it is at all) with the 29.6v Lithium pack. Might also be a limitation of the prop WRT the Harpoon weight/resistance.

If 36v is too much, I'm also thinking about a 30v AGM battery bank. Ultimately I plan to pick some LifePO4's and build a 9 or 10 cell pack.

I want to use this motor on my new build, a 24' x 2.5' "canoe launch", and am trying to see what I can coax out of it...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment