Saturday, May 21, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Efficiency of Torqeedo motors at low power levels

 

The efficiency chart on their website shows that the motors don't reach full efficiency until the input power reaches 25- 30% of the maximum input power. Smaller motors are more efficient at lower power inputs because of this characteristic. You want to choose a motor that is operating in the middle of the input power curve with your average load not your peak load. Otherwise you run your batteries down to quickly. Thanks. Steve S.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "F Neil Simms" <f.neil.simms@...> wrote:
>
> Oh, I'm sure they are including the prop - I should have said "overall efficiency of their outboards", not just the motor.
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Twete" <matwete@> wrote:
> >
> > Torqeedo is probably including prop efficiency in their claim.
> >
> >
> >
> > From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> > On Behalf Of F Neil Simms
> > Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 7:00 AM
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Efficiency of Torqeedo motors at low power levels
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Torqeedo claims about 50% overall efficiency for their motors.
> >
> > Can I assume this is at or near full power level? Is their efficiency lower
> > at low power levels?
> >
> > When I get my slim boat done I'll be testing it at first with my 801 Base,
> > with the standard prop, and also with a 16x16 airplane prop. I've calculated
> > what performance I should get at low power levels (50 to 100 watts) assuming
> > the 50% efficiency touted, but I suspect it will turn out to be much lower
> > than that.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone has ever tested this (low power efficiency) with a
> > Torqeedo and a fast light hull capable of moving at a good clip at low power
> > levels.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment