Sunday, August 8, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Macregor conversion

 

The problem there is I think you use the water for ballast, side to side. Both sides are not filled? I have never owned one but I thought that is how they work. If you want a better test bed use a Clipper Marine 26' I have one that I am rebuilding. If one were to remove the cast iron swing keel and replace it with a fiberglass or wooden swing keel then add the batteries you would have the weight back (not as low). I used a 9.9 hp Johnson and all I could do was pretty much idle it and I was zipping right along. You can buy these very cheep.

Dan

--- On Sat, 8/7/10, dacortaj <dacortaj@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: dacortaj <dacortaj@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Macregor conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, August 7, 2010, 6:13 PM

 

Me too. I having been looking for a project boat as a platform for experimenting with an electric conversion/hybrid/solar/wind, and I think I will go with a Mac 26. It is extremely light, I think you can get to hull speed with a fairly low current draw compared to a keel boat. Accomodations are decent for the weight of boat. Disadvantages are inland coastal sailing only, not sure about battery stowage, hard to imagine solar panels w/o an arch.

Also surprised that it hasn't been worked through, makes me question my choice.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "roger.dann" <dann.roger@...> wrote:
>
> I'm sure this has been worked thru before but a search reveals nothing here. Isn't a Macgregor 26 sailboat an ideal candidate for electric conversion? It has ballast tanks that when flooded add 12oo lbs of water for sailing stability. The 50hp outboard recommended is a few more hundred pounds, doesn't this equate to a decent Ah storage capacity if tanks are opened for battery storage? What is the the approx. wt/ah for different batteries?
> Roger
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment