Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: The big picture

 

I have found I need to draw down the batteries a little bit before I can use the charger generator to propel the boat. Otherwise when my charger pulses in the second stage of charging the controller cuts out thinking there is an over voltage coming from the battery bank. If it is in the bulk charge mode it's fine. But, after that you are right I would adjust my speed to not draw down the battery bank. But, I could if I wanted too. My boat does about three knots just use the generator charger combination. Which is great for the canal. I also have some solar panels which can help in the mix. But, the generator will do the most of the work. The only negative of the canal trip is I had the drop the mast and carry it on deck.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: "nsimms" <nsimms@nc.rr.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:49:33 +0000
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: The big picture

 



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Mike" <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> I certainly would do it again with electric propulsion even if I had to run the Honda most of the time. It would be even quieter than running the old diesel and less vibration too, The nice thing abouit the Honda you can move it anywhere on deck. Especially in the calm conditions of the Canal. With the diesel it was always under the cockpit. The noise and vibration caused a lot of fatigue.
>
> Capt. Mike

Cool, thanks, Cap.

Thinking about how I'd go about transiting a canal or any intended long, constricted run like that, would it make sense to run the generator from the start, and use only as much power as it provides, so you have full batteries in reserve if the generator fails?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment