Monday, August 9, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric

 

Please check out the Harmony, a 46ft cat with a diesel-electric propulsion system. Harmony was originally converted with a Solomon beta system, but the battery reserve didn't justify the maintenance. She now has twin diesel gennys to run low speed AC direct drive 10kw motors. There are no propulsion batteries anymore, with half the old battery bay converted to a house bank, and a large diesel tank in the space remaining. The conversion was done by an experienced marine electrician, with no previous "small boat" experience. The electrician works on electrical systems for heavy cargo vessels and oil rigs, and did a first-class job. Check out the operation manual to see the icing on the cake :)

www.myfindingharmony.com

Be Well,
Arby
Advanced Marine electric Propulsion



From: Pitt Bolinate <boombolinate@yahoo.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sun, August 8, 2010 7:40:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric

 

Hi again

I think some of you misunderstand me, I do not want a bank of batteries to drive the boat.
I would like to drive the boat with the gen set when needed and totally avoid the batteries,

Sent from my iPad

Bolinate! Pitt




On Aug 7, 2010, at 6:40 PM, "Pitt" <boombolinate@ yahoo.com> wrote:

 

I am so completely overwhelmed with the talk on this site, I mean this in a good way. I am a watching member of a few different forums and I am trying to live the dream. I am the proud owner of a Formosa 41 Ketch (see photo kharmaseas ). I have spent a year pulling everything oily and diesel stinky out, and dreaming about using the space for nicer things. The lazzaret is big enough for a well mounted generator and therefore keeping the main cabin machinery free.

The whole package is 28 000 Lbs and the batteries are going to take all of the new found space. Honestly I would rather not bother with batteries and have a diesel/electric propulsion and really only sail with an emergency propulsion. I am starting to see the talk about honda generators being dodgy wired direct to the drive motor, am I correct this can be done?

I have a diesel / air cooled generator. PowR-Quip PQDE 6500 ( see photo diesel generator ) Would I be dreaming to hope that a air blower would be capable of cooling the generator down in the lazzeret and using this generator to run the electric drive motor direct. Then keeping the old house bank as it is, charging with solar and from the generator when needed I keep being turned off the project with almost everybody telling me the boat is too big and it would take too many batteries. A new marine generator is too far out of budget and I already have this one.
Some advice on electric motors would be welcome also,


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment