Saturday, August 7, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric

 

http://www.slowboatcruise.com/p/about-our-boat.html

This boat is 13 tons and goes 8 hours on it's bank. It is using one of the E Teck type of motors. The battery bank I am using will fit in the space left by the Atomic 4. A 48 volt battery bank fits in a golf cart under the seat! You do not need a generator you have one, the motor. All you need is an engine to turn it. So if you installed a 2 hp? engine in the lazzaret and ran it to a shaft that hooked to the motor shaft you would only need to turn the engine on when the batteries needed charging. Get creative a small diesel engine that pops up using a lever so it is above the lazzaret air cooled, when finished you lever it back down. Levering it up puts tension on the belt giving the motor power.

Most all answers can be done using math.

1: How long am I going to use the auxiliary power?

2: How much do I use the house batteries?

3: How many batteries do I need to supply power to the house for 24 hrs?

4: How many batteries do I need to power the boat for X amount of distance? Remember going slower helps your range.

5: How fast do I have to get there?

6: How much generating power do I need to regenerate the house batteries in 24 hrs?

7: How much more generating power do I need to make the distance I need after the batteries run out?

Once you know what you need it is not that hard to find a way to do it. I have heard many times that skippers say I hardly ever start up my auxiliary. Yet some take them for a cruise and never set sails.

Dan

--- On Sat, 8/7/10, Pitt <boombolinate@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Pitt <boombolinate@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Dreaming of Electric
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, August 7, 2010, 8:40 PM

 

I am so completely overwhelmed with the talk on this site, I mean this in a good way. I am a watching member of a few different forums and I am trying to live the dream. I am the proud owner of a Formosa 41 Ketch (see photo kharmaseas ). I have spent a year pulling everything oily and diesel stinky out, and dreaming about using the space for nicer things. The lazzaret is big enough for a well mounted generator and therefore keeping the main cabin machinery free.

The whole package is 28 000 Lbs and the batteries are going to take all of the new found space. Honestly I would rather not bother with batteries and have a diesel/electric propulsion and really only sail with an emergency propulsion. I am starting to see the talk about honda generators being dodgy wired direct to the drive motor, am I correct this can be done?

I have a diesel / air cooled generator. PowR-Quip PQDE 6500 ( see photo diesel generator ) Would I be dreaming to hope that a air blower would be capable of cooling the generator down in the lazzeret and using this generator to run the electric drive motor direct. Then keeping the old house bank as it is, charging with solar and from the generator when needed I keep being turned off the project with almost everybody telling me the boat is too big and it would take too many batteries. A new marine generator is too far out of budget and I already have this one.
Some advice on electric motors would be welcome also,


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment