Thursday, August 5, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] The Bigger Picture

 


In my case , I row out to my boat on its swing mooring in a 6ft 6 tender , but its no problem for me to put in 2 10 litre fuel cans , which gives my boat an extra 10 hours of running.
I can't "plug in" , so I'd have to rely on solar panels to do the job of recharging batteries , and they (the solar panels) are too easily stolen .
A hybrid would be nice , but at this stage is not available in the smaller horsepowers.
I'll put up with diesel for a while yet , until the hybrids are developed in smaller horsepowers.
Rob Johnson

From: Joe Grez <joe@propelemarine.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 6 August, 2010 6:21:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] The Bigger Picture



I'm following the string where electric out-of power situations could arise.  I have a 36 volt system with a low voltage cutout of 30 volts.  We launched one time with a destination in mind but found that the battery pack had not been recharged since the last outing and we had a low voltage problem when checking the gages at the dock.  Because of the nature of boats, however, we were able to travel 4 miles on that dead pack at 3 mph by running at low power.  Can't do that with an empty diesel tank.  It's interesting that the fear of running out of charge is so deep-rooted when you can always get more out of a battery if you just slow down. 

Food for thought.

--
Joe Grez, President of PropEle Electric Boat Motors Inc.  makers of the Electric Paddle
www.electricpaddle.com
joe@propelemarine.com
425-241-9241
10404 428 ave se, North Bend Wa, 98045




 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment