Saturday, February 1, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

Any guess what size prop to use with old 24v 4hp mini Kota ?
Thx
Don't think it's actually 4 hp but that's what it says




On Friday, January 24, 2020, 09:16, cpcanoesailor via Groups.Io <cpcanoesailor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Keith, I used an APC 11x6 RC airplane prop with a Haswing 55lb thrust 12V brushed trolling motor. It pushed my 6m proa (outrigger sailing canoe) about 20% faster than the stock 3 blade prop, using the same amount of power. Even though the prop had narrow blades, I found it to be durable enough. No noticeable damage from normal use in salt water with occasional wood bits floating by. I added a nose cone that matched the motor housing diameter, with the prop inside, to reduce resistance. I machined the prop using a drill and metal file to enlarge the shaft hole and cut a slot for the motor's drive pin in the rear face of the prop.

As an alternative to rewiring, you may be able to reverse the direction of the handle connection to the vertical shaft on your trolling motor so the prop is at the front. I did this with my new brushless 1.0hp electric trolling motor (another Haswing).

I did find some slippage when accelerating to full speed from a dead stop, but no evidence of cavitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment