Sunday, February 9, 2020

Re: [electricboats] 15 KW DC l electric conversikon

After I assembled lithium iron phosphate 3.2v 90 ah cells in series and parallel to achieve 4 12v 360 ah cells. I put them in 4 heavy duty plastic boxes. Then installed the bms. Before inserting in box I wrapped the 12 v modules with large heat shrink wrap I then used a small torch to get a nice even seal. In marine environments very important to not allow any moisture near the lithium cells. The bms is paired with my phone by using an app This is very helpful to set your charging parameters If you are building your own battery system be sure to invest in a Flir type heat sensor. Very cool gadget that attaches to your phone to check out any possible bad connections. Check motor, controller, bus bars and all connections under load for heat issues It is a fun project. 40 ft sailboat racing sloop. I have to put some lead back in the boat because the batteries only weigh 90 lbs a piece 360 # vs 2 cycle diesel that we removed 800#.  I hope this helps 


Best regards,
Larry Schmitz



On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 10:34 PM, L Schmitz via Groups.Io <terminalift=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have the same set up. 10 kw   48 v system. Lithium iron phosphate cells in parallel  and seriesRunning tethered to the dock. 4 hrs. With lithium dyi  assembly  70a continuous running. No heat issues Next week is the real test. I will keep you posted  Should be able to run hull speed 6 hrs or more. Cheers 


Best regards,
Larry Schmitz



On Saturday, February 8, 2020, 7:20 PM, Larry Brown <elcapitanbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

I got my motor and controller from Thunderstruck-ev.com.  I just added the batteries and in my case generators for my idea of how I wanted to use the system.  They have been extremely helpful along the way.  There are other outfits out there that I cannot speak for.  Only that these guys have been great for me.  My trimaran is 38' x 22'6", 9k lbs.  I chose the air cooled motor because I like the idea a bag won't get sucked up into my cooling line and overheat the motor.  That being said I have yet to test mine in the Florida heat.  I'll know more this summer how hard it is to keep cool.  Ultimately I may have to switch.  But I'd rather try the option that would be simplest first.

There are more and more of us out here to give help as time goes.  This is really the future of sailboat auxiliary I think.  I'm hopeful power boats are able to use it as well.  As it stands I have a 2 to 1 reduction and I'm going to be trying my 2 blade prop previously used for a 30hp Yanmar.  It was pushing a lot of water at 40amps today for an hour at the dock.  I'm still working on finishing up and organizing wires etc. but hopefully in the next few weeks I'll take her for a run out to the gulf to see if 40amps is 5knots or what.  That's my hope.  With two of my 350w solar panels connected it was putting roughly 10amps into the system so the batteries were only putting out 30amps.   This was good to see even though today was best case for solar.  No clouds at all. 

Hope this was helpful.


On Feb 8, 2020, at 4:11 PM, gimmx via Groups.Io <gimmx=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

i am a marine service company in mexico wishing help in converting a 40 foot trimaran from diesel to electric propulsion.   Garth Jones.   I need some help and advice  

No comments:

Post a Comment