Saturday, February 1, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 02:58 PM, Keith M wrote:
Günter - It looks like the Haswing Protruar 3.0 with a retrofitted propeller is my best bet.  Brushless, low RPM, PWM controller (I believe), and not overpriced.  I wish I had figured that out earlier.  I plan to retrofit a more hydrodynamic piece on the shaft of my trolling motor.  The golden motors are interesting for an outboard conversion with a gear reduction, but not so much for a direct drive that requires low RPM and small cross-section.  What cruising speed are you targeting for the Kat?  With anticipated advancements (~5 years) in battery energy densities, a battery-powered Kat could soon be a very capable and practical craft that exceeds displacement speeds.  That might be a future project for me.
Hi Keith
(I answered right after your questions, but the post was going somehow into the drain. So I'll start anew.)
At now I don't know anything about really achievable cruising speed for my boat, so I abstained to put a target in place. My wife and I like peaceful silence on the water most of all boating. So we chosed an electric drive and will mostly go slow speed. Sometimes in certain circumstances we will like it to go faster, e.g. to pass an ugly or noisy section of a canal, fleeing upcoming bad weather and so on. After launch I have to try what will be possible.

For sure the 3 kW Motor with 18 cm Diameter is not to put under water in a pod to lead a propeller. At moment I plan to build an outboard myself and put the motor with vertical rotor axis on top. There is a lot of unresolved problems to overcome. Time will tell.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30217) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment