Monday, February 10, 2020

Re: [electricboats] 15 KW DC l electric conversikon

Hi Allan,
I'd be curious to know what you see as the advantages of implementing packs assembled from 18650 or 21700 cylindrical cells.  I considered that option myself before ultimately settling on prismatics, but rejected it on several grounds.  First, was the uncertainty of the history of the used module, but other concerns included: how would I service the pack -- i.e. replace the cell -- if one of the cells goes completely bad; how do I monitor the BMS data (how would I capture and display the voltage and temperature data that may be collected by the embedded BMS); and due to weight and size, how do I physically install (move into an appropriate compartment, and then mount it per regulatory requirement)?
Using a minimum of 16 matched prismatic cells (to get to the 48VDC nominal needed to drive the 10kw motor from Thunderstruck), integration with available BMS systems (including the one from Thunderstruck, or the Orion Jr) seemed a lot more straightforward.
So far, the system is working exactly as expected on my test bench.  And I'm adding a variety of user interface options to make operation more user-friendly.  I doubt I could have done any of this using battery packs designed for automobiles, including Tesla, Leaf, Golf and so on.
There are sellers of 12v batteries built of 18650 cells, and incorporating their own BMS (or cell protection boards, which are NOT the same thing) in each unit.  I've thought about simply hooking four of these in series, but then I wouldn't have the same access to detailed operational and battery health information as a fully-integrated system provides.
Just my two-cents worth ... 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30263) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment