Friday, July 5, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Pearson 35 yawl electric 10 kw

 

I personally havn't had much luck using a 2200 watt honda generator for extending range. My charger is a 4 bank dual pro that charges each battery separately. That's only 15 amps per battery in a perfect world. Toss temp compensation into the equation & I'm sure the charging amperage is alot less, especially if you're drawing from the bank.  I do want to install a 48 volt, 25 amp quick charger on the boat so I can charge the whole bank in series.
I think that will make quite a difference but alais, I've spent enough money on the boat this year.


Bob

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 12:57 PM, sermft sermft@gmail.com [electricboats]
<electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

That's a great idea. I guess I will have to set a switch to divide the batteries, but then I could use 2 good mppt chargers 



Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note8.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Rob rob@sail4life.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 7/5/19 11:57 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Pearson 35 yawl electric 10 kw

 

Have it charge as a split bank of 2x36v ?

Sent from my iPad

-Rob

On Jul 4, 2019, at 5:07 PM, sermft sermft@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I know..but the problem  is that victrom mppt won't go as high as 72 volts...just up to 48volts.so I haven't found so far anything else but that mpt7210a. 



Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note8.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/4/19 7:27 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "sermft sermft@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Pearson 35 yawl electric 10 kw

 

I really like the Victron products, mppt controllers and battery monitors. Before I had some off brand stuff and it would trip while I was away leading to flat batteries. 
Jerry Barth

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

------ Original message------
From: sermft sermft@gmail.com [electricboats]
Date: Thu, Jul 4, 2019 6:08 PM
Cc:
Subject:Re: [Electric Boats] Pearson 35 yawl electric 10 kw

 

Thanks Bob for sharing.
My charger according to the previous owner will need about 4 hours to fully charge the bank..reading the charger manual it will put out 12 amps. So if I get a solar system putting some 5 amps that will be a big help I guess..
Doing some research on internet I found a very interesting mppt boost controller that will go up to 72 volts..with an input of maximum 60 volts.. using 4 120 watts solar panels in series apparently will do the trick.. mp7210A is the model. Amazingly cheap..
So I my try something  like that. An then again. The main idea is to sail..so recharging the bank is just to always have the motor option always open..

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note8.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Bob Caulk bob_caulk@yahoo.com [electricboats]" >
Date: 7/4/19 12:53 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Sergio Monfort sermft@gmail.com [electricboats]" >
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Pearson 35 yawl electric 10 kw

 

Hi Sergio-
I had a Pearson 35 sloop which I converted to electric power some time ago, sold the boat a few years back. The conversion used an electric yacht motor, 5 KW, running at 48V. The range you get will depend on the amp hours in the battery pack. Mine was 48V, 220 amp hours lead acid batteries. I could get up to 5 knots if the hull was clean, could run at 4 knots for a couple hours. The slower you go the longer your range also. I always recharged at the dock. It took 12 hours or more for my charger system to fully charge the batteries, but that was fine for me because it was used mostly as a day sailor.

Many folks take a 2 KW generator along for overnight trips or cruising, I didn't find it necessary for day sailing. Solar panels can help, but you would need a lot of them to make much difference while sailing.

Keeping the hull clean makes a big difference, for both electric motor and sailing performance.

I really liked the electric motor vs the diesel. A lot less maintenance. totally quiet. No diesel smell. Your 12 KW system should take your boat up pretty close to hull speed, but back off on the throttle if you are going to run under motor for any length of time.

Enjoy!

Bob


On Thursday, July 4, 2019, 08:28:11 AM PDT, Sergio Monfort sermft@gmail.com [electricboats] > wrote:


 

I just bought a Pearson  35 yawl..and has an electric motor from thunderstruck  motors..it is  a 12 .5 kw running at 72 volts battery bank. I haven't said it yet. But I can wait for this coming weekend..I'm bringing on board a 2000 watts generator since don't know what is the autonomy  I'm going to have...thinking if it is possible some sore of solar system I can Install so some have I put back some amps while sailing..
Any experiences???


Posted by: sermft >
Reply via web post ??? Reply to sender ??? Reply to group ??? Start a New Topic ??? Messages in this topic (3)
SPONSORED LINKS

__._,_.___

Posted by: bob jennings <sabre281@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment