Saturday, July 13, 2019

[Electric Boats] Re: 24V to 96V Operating Range from a Single Outboard

 

Hi Scott,

I think I'm in your target market. I converted a '89 SportCraft 2400 Avanza (googling that will get you pictures) from gas sterndrive to electric outboard. I removed the sterndrive, engine, and gas tank. I glassed in the sterndrive hole in the transom, and put on a Panther outboard bracket onto the swim platform (with a support bar attached to the transom), and an e-Propulsion Navy 6.0 outboard to drive it.

Batteries I got from the garage sale section of Thunderstruck: QTY 8 Valence U27-12XP 130AH at about $200 per battery. It took some fiddling to talk to the built in BMS with a laptop, but now it all works together nicely. Each battery has about 60 cycles on it, I think they came from a Smith Electric Truck. Since the Navy 6 is 48V I have them 2P4S, but for a 96V motor 1P8S would be easy to do.

The batteries replace the engine block in approximate volume at weight, about 300 lbs. There's currently nothing where the old gas tank was, there's room for another 4 (maybe 8) batteries of the same form factor.

With the 6kW outboard, I get 4.5 knots at 80% power and (according to the instruments) about 30 miles range from my 13.3kWh pack. I think I'm getting some cavitation, I have a cav plate to install on the outboard to see if that helps. Full power only gets me 4.8 knots, clearly limited by the hull shape/length and maybe cavitation. I'm also going to try the high pitch propeller, see what difference that make.

To use your motor, I'd replace the outboard bracket with a real transom extender for the extra flotation and support for the 100 lbs motor.

The Navy 6 was $2500 and they call it a 9.9hp equivalent. So if yours is twice the price, twice the voltage, for a bit more than twice the hp, you must be doing something right. Note that the $2500 included the throttle and two propellers (low pitch and high pitch).

Thanks,
Brian

__._,_.___

Posted by: kd5crs@gmail.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment