Monday, July 15, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Outboard Hybrid Proposal: Torqeedo + NewEnergy 48V@30AH battery + Honda EU2200i

 

For the charger and external battery: 
 
That depends on the Torqeedo you plan to use.  The Cheaper Travel 1003 model could not be used.  That is the model with the built in battery and controller.  It can take a limited amount from solar, but could not really make use of an external battery. And is 24 volts. 

The next highest model the cruise would work, but may be utter overkill for that boat.  


For running the cruise with out a battery with a switching power supply, I would contact Torqeedo with that question.  



On Jul 15, 2019, at 9:12 AM, oak oak_box@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Matt,
Thank you very much for the response!  It's great to hear at least one good experience with this battery pack!!

I guess the next question is:    Is it safe to run a Torqeedo from a switching power supply connected to a Honda generator?   If so, then I could at the very least have a battery switch to take the battery out of the path, and let the generator / regulator drive the motor directly, and also feed the battery pack's charger.

John

On Monday, July 15, 2019, 08:16:36 AM CDT, Matt Foley matt@sunlightconversions.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
[Attachment(s) from Matt Foley matt@sunlightconversions.com [electricboats] included below]

Hi John, 

I will try and get back to you other questions and run times with my setup,   but I wanted to comment quickly on the battery.. I purchased the same exact battery from eBay, sold by imotorbattery.  Same exact pic and specs. Bought it late last season and have maybe five full charge cycles on it. I ran it down to empty on purpose and my AH meter showed exactly 30 AH before the internal BMS cut it off. I would call it 51 volt nominal. Can't comment on longevity, but so far it's worked great. 



<image1.jpeg>

Matt Foley

Sunlight Conversions 
1-201-914-0466
WeChat: Mattymoonshine

Sent from mobile device 

On Jul 15, 2019, at 1:00 AM, oak oak_box@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

1)  Does anyone know anything good or bad about the NewEnergy 48V, 30Ah battery pack - advertised here on Amazon:

The set comes with the battery (48V nominal @ 30Ah), a built in BMS, and a 5A charger for $580, which seems to be a pretty good deal.    However, it's such a tiny package - I'm skeptical that I'll get 30Ah @48V.

2)  Here's what I'm thinking...

This is the boat I built a number of years ago...  It's all wood, with a coat of Xynol (think fiberglass, but actually polyester fibers instead of glass) on the bottom...  The boat is about 13' long, almost 6' beam, and maybe 500 pounds empty (??) (I built it pretty heavy).

Inline image

I eventually removed the outboard motor, and replaced it with a Torqeedo 4R

Inline image

<1563164504615blob.jpg>

Because of the weight, hull shape (and probably some imperfections in constuction) - she would only do 5.6mph at 2800W - which is right at hull speed.

At 1000W, she runs about about 4.4mph, and at 600W, she still managed around 3.8mph.

If I can believe the rating...  With the NewEnergy 30Ah battery, I should be able to run at 1000W for at least an hour, or 625W (~13A) for around 2 hours - right??

Does the sound reasonable?   Again, the cost, weight, and size of the NewEnergy battery pack sound suspiciously too good to be true.

THEN....  If I add a Honda EU2200i generator, and this 48V, 20A switching power supply:

Then I should be able to run at 13A (about 625W, which will give me nearly 4mph) almost indefinitely.  Right?   Or am I missing something??

3)  Can I run a Torqeedo directly from a 20A 48V power supply, powered by a Honda 2200 generator?  If I run the boat at 625W, that's 13A, which is about 65% of the rated output of the power supply, and well within the capability of the Honda 2200.

4)  Is it a really good idea to have a battery (like the NewEnergy 30A) tied in parallel with the power supply and motor to act as a "buffer" to smooth out any power glitches from the (generator / power supply) combination?  Or will I risk blowing up the battery if I connect a high power regulated power supply directly to a somewhat discharged lithium battery  (or even a fully charged one??)?

5)  If I use the generator with the Lithium battery bank, what voltage should I set the regulator at?  The regulator has a voltage adjustment that allows for a 10% range. (up to as much as 50-52V)    Is it safe to have the battery pack directly connected to the regulator, with the regulator output voltage set at 50V?   Would that allow the battery to be charged?  Or (again) would I risk damaging the battery (or possible fire / explosion) if the battery has been discharged to say, 46V, and I connect it to a 50V regulated supply?

If it's a BAD idea to connect the power supply to the battery directly - then an option would be to have a "Battery Switch" to allow me to run the Torqeedo either from the battery, or from the 20A power supply driven from the generator.  20A @ 48V is only around 1000W, so I should easily be able to run the 20A power supply and the 5A charger built into the battery pack (to charge the batter while I'm running the boat from the generator).   Again - is it a BAD idea to run a Torqeedo 4R 48V motor directly from a 20A switching power supply, driven by a Honda EU2200i generator??

It would have ultimately been cheaper to use a gas outboard instead of a Torqeedo.  But since I have the Torqeedo, it would be fun to use it.  If it will work to have a small Honda generator drive a 20A power supply, it would be a good excuse to get a Honda 2200, that I otherwise have yet to justify getting.   :)

Thoughts??

John


 


<1563164504615blob.jpg>

<image1.jpeg>

__._,_.___

Posted by: "james@deny.org" <james@deny.org>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (46)

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment