Thursday, September 20, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery replacement

 

Not exactly, when I first installed my Quattro many moons ago it did not have a LiFePO profile yet, so I used a generic profile configured with lithium safe voltages, but it was far from a lead profile, you can adjust practically ever conceivable setting, so I adjusted away most setting that made little since for lithium chemistry's, so it was a pretty custom profile.  But I later updated the Quattro firmware to use the factory lithium profile with some small changes and assistants to allow BMS integration.  The current default LiFePO profile is pretty good though I don't like the factory float voltage of 54 instead I prefer that a little lower as already stated. But I am sure Victrons setting would also be fine, not really that much difference between 3.33 and 3.37 at the end of the day.  The Victron Quattro like most charger manufacturers use Lead acid terminology even for Lithium batteries, terms like "float, bulk, absorption" but if you look a the actual profiles, they do quite different things.  Not that my custom profile did not work great for years. 

On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:22 PM, clh5_98@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

This is how I understand the Quattro to work with lithium batteries. It's not really a lithium profile. With mine (2012 model) I can do a firmware update that will allow it to accept discrete inputs from a BMS. It uses the temp sense input and one of the aux inputs as contact inputs from a BMS. If one input is true, this tells the charger to stop charging.. If the other input is true, this tells the charger/inverter to stop drawing from the bank.
This would be if you wanted the BMS to control the charging. Alternatively, instead of the charger stopping charging on a signal from the BMS, the charger can switch to float.

The absorption setting I mentioned is the constant voltage level the charger maintains after the bulk phase. There is also a setting for how long the charger stays in absorption, which I believe could be set to zero. From what I've read about charging LiFePO4 batteries is this. To get a full charge the voltage is held at a constant voltage, let's say 3.6 VPC until the current tapers to 0.05C. This equals 9 amps on a CALB 180 cell. I can't remember if the Quattro can be set to go from absorption to float after this taper current reaches a preset. I have the interface software and hardware to make these changes, but I don't have it with me currently, or I'd look into it.

From James' earlier post it seems as though he lets the Quattro handle the charging simply based on a lower voltage lead acid profile and uses the BMS to protect the pack by telling the Quattro to stop if something went wrong, i.e. excessive voltage during charging. This is also supported by his statement that he floats his LiFePO4 pack. He uses the BMS more or less as a safety override and to balance the cells. Did I interpret you correctly, James? 

Chris

__._,_.___

Posted by: "james@deny.org" <james@deny.org>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (74)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
OLD batteries.jpg PACK WITH BMS.JPG

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment