Sunday, September 16, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery replacement

 

James,

great info. I've often pondered what you described. If one sets their battery monitor for the bank capacity when the batteries are new and routinely discharge to say 50%, over time as the batteries age they will become more deeply discharged than 50%. This would eventually lead to complete failure at some point. Ideally the battery monitor would self compensate for the natural loss of battery capacity over time. Of course this would be a fairly complex calculation due all the variables involved in battery capacity loss.

You also mentioned taking the NSB to 20% SOC. Is this something you routinely do, and in your experience how do they hold up? As I currently have  Trojan 520 ah X 50% capacity, being able to take the NSB to 400 ah X 80% would increase my range quite a bit. After really analyzing my options and my space/budget available, anything I do tends to decrease my range and cost more than what I currently have onboard. Ignoring the elusive Lead Crystal battery (which would be ideal for me), being able to cycle the NSB to 20-30% SOC would maintain my current range, or increase it at not too much of a higher cost over the Trojans, and a lot less than Lithium. I realize the deeper discharges would negatively impact the battery life, but how much, and is it worth it?

Chris 

__._,_.___

Posted by: clh5_98@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (46)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
OLD batteries.jpg PACK WITH BMS.JPG

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment