Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery replacement

 

Dan,

Sorry the distributor comment was for the guy who wrote about the Lead Crystal battery.

Chris 

Sent from myPhone

On Sep 12, 2018, at 18:30, DAN HENNIS dhennis@centurytel.net [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


This is where I found my supplier..
Dan



----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Hudson clh5_98@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 21:52:31 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Battery replacement





 

Daniel,

Thanks. I'll try finding a distributor in the US to chat with about these. I know there was a recent post about these batteries.

Chris 

Sent from myPhone

On Sep 12, 2018, at 17:27, DAN HENNIS dhennis@centurytel.net [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 


Chris, I am finishing up building an electric boat.  It is not as big as yours, but due to its mission I will have a system similar to yours.  In my research of all the battery options, I have settled on the NorthStar AGMs also.  I feel they are at the moment, the most cost effective and heartiest.  I am using the SMS-AGM 480 series battery.  Being made of pure lead, and the AGM tech, I think they will serve the best.  These taller, thinner cells, neet my need and I do not waste a lot of room in cell shells (battery cases).  They work in all 3 axis, and I get them from a supplier just 20 miles from the factory in Springfield, MO.  If you will look for a local supplier, and talk to them, you can usually get a healthy discount from the MSRP.  Yes you can get other options.  But when weighing the cost, shipping, and real-world life in your application, I think NorthStar is a great choice.
Dan



----- Original Message -----
From: clh5_98@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:19:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Electric Boats] Battery replacement





 

Hello group,

I'm shopping for new batteries for my sailboat. I currently have 16 Trojan T-145s in series parallel. 520aH total at 48 V. They have served me well and will soon be 6 years in service. I'm wanting something in this capacity, but in a more maintenance free design. I have been reading the various battery postings from this group with interest. I have not totally ruled out LifePO4, but I have concerns with BMS failure, charger integration and, of course the initial cost of a system in the capacity that I require. I forgot to mention, my boat is a Morgan Out Island 41. With my experience with this boat and the smaller size of my generator, I don't want to reduce capacity much. The other battery that I am considering is the NorthStar NSB 210FT BLUE+. They are essentially an AGM battery with carbon added to allow it to better tolerate partial states of charge (PSOC). One thing that I've noticed with my T-145s is the incredibly long absorption time while at anchor. Most time I just give up trying to get to 100% SOC, which I understand is not good for FLA batteries. 8 of these NorthStar 12 volt batteries (400 aH total) would cost less than half of a comparable capacity LifePO4 (CALB) bank with BMS. I'd like to get some feedback/opinion as to the suitability of these NorthStar batteries for this application, and maybe someone can give me more confidence to make the LifePO4 plunge.. Thanks for any help this group can offer.


Kind Regards,

Chris Hudson







--
Dan Hennis
CTR Services
P.O. Box 254
14237 FR 1155
Cassville, MO  65625-0254
417-396-0228






--
Dan Hennis
CTR Services
P.O. Box 254
14237 FR 1155
Cassville, MO  65625-0254
417-396-0228

__._,_.___

Posted by: Chris Hudson <clh5_98@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment