Thursday, January 28, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Hello, new to group. EP Circumnavigation Q's

 

I've had my Thoosa 9000 EP system installed since 2008 and it has been so much more reliable than the diesel. I would not hesitate to do long time cruising with the system. One of the factors I looked at when I first thought about installing EP was how I might do a long term motoring trip like going down the ICW down to Florida. One of the reasons I choose AGM batteries over Lithium was the easy availability of AGM replacements locally in the U.S. or elsewhere. Though my AGM bank is still going strong. The rest of the system is pretty bullet proof. I've carried some spares (like a battery charger) that I have never had to use in eight years.

Cpt. Mike
http://biankablog.blogspot.com



On Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:36 AM, "Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
My opinions.
1. Reliable - yes.
2. I would cruise.
3. Batteries keep getting better and cheaper, at 7-10% y/y.
4. All good electric solutions dont use the hull for anything on the
motive side.
Metal hulls wont matter.

Higher voltage = better efficiency.
Larger prop = much better efficiency.
>
> 1.
>

> I am in the process of evaluating EP instead of a Beta Marine 38hp for
> a VIA 42 aluminum sailboat. The long term plan is to sail around the
> world, but the nagging question is, are the systems reliable enough?
>
> 2.
>

> For those of you who have done the conversion, would you be
> comfortable cruising for a few years or 5?
>
>
3.
>
> The current idea is Electric Yacht 20kv, 400ah LiFePo battery bank and
> DC genset.
>
>
>
4.
>
> Since it is a metal boat, are there grounding issues with the motors?
> Are they all isolated ground or is that something to deal with?
>

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)



__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment