Wednesday, January 27, 2016

[Electric Boats] Dead in the water

 

Well, it happened.

After five and one-half year of absolute reliability, over 800 trips, my EP system died.


The PMAC controller gave up the ghost with a MOSFET failure. That's never convenient, but it is made worse by the fact that the boat it's in is a launch, not an auxiliary sailboat. No sailing back home.


I had a choice to make; either purchase two PMAC controllers (one spare), or purchase a brushed motor, a suitable controller, and a reversing contactor.


I went for the brushed system.


I sold the PMAC motor on ebay (somebody got a nice 5kW motor for $127), and bought a Motenergy 0709 which has the same mounting pattern as the previous motor.


I had installed a couple Alltrax controllers in other launches, and was impressed with their features and ease of programming with a laptop, USB cable and free software. I went with their SPM 48300 for my launch.


The benefits if I had chosen to stay with PMAC technology:

1. The installation would be simpler

2. The system would continue to be state of the art, which appeals to me.


The downside:

I could no longer blindly trust the controller, and would feel the need to have a spare aboard. On the water I am a fairly self-reliant guy, operating in an area where there is little boat traffic much of the year. 


In the final analysis, the ability (in an emergency) to operate the boat in a limited fashion without a controller, or reversing contactor, or dc-dc converter, or throttle, or main contactor won out. 


I hope to never have to jury-rig the system this way, but I can, if I ever needed to. And I didn't have that option before.


-Tom


PS: It looks like the PMAC system was somewhat more efficient, I'll get some measurements on a calm day and report back. 



__._,_.___

Posted by: boat_works@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment