Thursday, January 28, 2016

[Electric Boats] New to group - Can I use regen with a folding/feathering prop

 

Hi

I have a 1973 S&S34 yacht MistyII that has an ageing Volvo Penta 20 something HP diesel that is developing overheating problems.  


I use misty for cruising as well as some serious offshore racing at Cat 1 &2 level (although not expecting to win)


When wearing my cruising skippers hat I'd like to repower with an electric motor, dump the diesel altogether, and rely on regeneration from the propeller together with solar and wind turbine to be self sufficient on a 10 to 30 day cruise.


As a racing skipper I really need to change my current 15x10 fixed two blade prop to a folding or feathering design as it robs me about a knot in boat speed.  Can such a prop be used for a regen function and still feather when I need to go quickly and be used with electric propulsion? 


Paul

Melbourne Australia

__._,_.___

Posted by: paul.kenna@kennalaw.com.au
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment