Thursday, January 21, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] 12V DC -> 120V AC vs. 48V DC -> 120V AC

 

I run a regular large dorm type fridge on my boat, i have 8 small golf cart batteries, 600 watts solar, it works but i have to be careful. The next time i will use a small top loading energy star freezer for my fridge. They run on much less, insulated better and as a fridge the compressor barely runs. You can get 48 volt inverters. They have fridges that run on one 200 watt panel now. The heat and cool fridges have issues in warm climates. 

On Jan 20, 2016, at 8:46 PM, "moriartybob@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I recently converted the auxiliary propulsion on my boat to an Electroprop system with a 210Ah 48V battery bank.
To keep things simple and (for me) safe, there will be no 120V AC appliances aboard that are run by shorepower.
However, in future coastal cruising I might want to run a cheapo Home Depot (USA) dormitory sized 120V AC refrigerator through an inverter from the battery bank. My "usual" house load will be handled by a 48V DC -> 12V DC converter. But, as I understand it, DC -> DC voltage conversions are inefficient, and I am wondering if a separate 48V DC -> 120V AC inverter for the high-draw refrigerator (and maybe microwave) might be more efficient than a 48V DC -> 12V DC -> 120V AC setup.
Apologies in advance if this is not really an Electric Boat topic.
--Bob Moriarty


__._,_.___

Posted by: Robert Powell <basicagency@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment