Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] 12V DC -> 120V AC vs. 48V DC -> 120V AC

 

A 12V cold machine works well to cool my icebox. It makes icecubes.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 20, 2016, at 17:46, moriartybob@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I recently converted the auxiliary propulsion on my boat to an Electroprop system with a 210Ah 48V battery bank.
To keep things simple and (for me) safe, there will be no 120V AC appliances aboard that are run by shorepower.
However, in future coastal cruising I might want to run a cheapo Home Depot (USA) dormitory sized 120V AC refrigerator through an inverter from the battery bank. My "usual" house load will be handled by a 48V DC -> 12V DC converter. But, as I understand it, DC -> DC voltage conversions are inefficient, and I am wondering if a separate 48V DC -> 120V AC inverter for the high-draw refrigerator (and maybe microwave) might be more efficient than a 48V DC -> 12V DC -> 120V AC setup.
Apologies in advance if this is not really an Electric Boat topic.
--Bob Moriarty


__._,_.___

Posted by: Dirk Harms-Merbitz <grasswood@icloud.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment