Tuesday, August 13, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Thunderstruck versus... well everyone else!

 

the original poster complained about have to repack the stuffing box all the time, the web post feature tacked it on later in the thread.
mike

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "cire" <cirejay@...> wrote:
>
> Say what? Am I missing something here?
>
> eric SV Meander
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "mkriley48" <mkriley48@> wrote:
> >
> > If you have to repack the stuffing box more than once every 5 years
> > you are doing something wrong! I used to run a boat back and forth from Maine to Florida every year and changed the packing every 5 years
> > and only adjust it maybe 3 or 4 times over that time.
> > mike
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Fred Liesegang <fred4936@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Jeff,
> > >  
> > > I have a Thunderstruck 7.5 kit in my Tartan 27-2. I also have a relationship with Electric Yacht which occured after I installed my Thunderstruck kit.  I have no complaints with the Thunderstruck kit after 2 years of service. I did build my own (3:1) belt drive reduction. The Electric Yacht kit is a little more money, but has more parts. For our boat, it works really well. I like the throttle that EY uses, so i may use that instead of the slide box I have now. We use our drive to get in and out of a narrow creek, then we put the sails up. It has been quiet, smooth, and very reliable. And manuevering in the marina is so precise! My only issue was losing a battery terminal that melted because it had loosened and I didn't catch it. My bad! Having the harnesses pre-made is wonderful, makes the install very easy and more difficult to screw-up! I like the EY kits and I am very happy with the Thunderstruck kit.
> > >  
> > > Fred Liesegang
> > > Tatan 27-2
> > >  
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > From: amdragonjeff <jeff@>
> > > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:33 PM
> > > Subject: [Electric Boats] Thunderstruck versus... well everyone else!
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > >
> > > I've been researching for a few months trying to get a parts list and a budget together for converting my 1980 Hunter 37C. I think I have seen the full spectrum of fully complete kits with fancy mounting (Electric Yacht), POD drives (E-TECH), and even had a hand at Alibaba for sourcing individual parts from China, though that scares me more than a bit.
> > >
> > > Then I ran across Thunderstruck. Not exactly an all-in-one kit, and it does seem that I will have to be a bit handy to get it mounted, but it doesn't seem too difficult. And they seem to be a good 1/3 of the cost of pretty much everything else.
> > >
> > > Any reason I shouldn't go with them?
> > >
> > > One thing I have had trouble finding *at all* are reviews of all these options. Happy customers? Sad customers? Found a few blogs, and to be fair have read three about using Electric Yacht that were very favorable of them. I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on people using POD drives, which when I started looking was what I thought I really wanted. Doesn't everyone want to get rid of that shadt hole below the waterline and say goodbye to the stuffing box forever? One of my most hated chores is packing that thing.
> > >
> > > Anyway I am pretty near ordering time, and I am curious, being new to this forum, if anyone could tell me good or bad things about Thunderstruck. Or anyone else for that matter :)
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Jeff LaCoursiere
> > > s/v Angels Quest
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (33)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment