Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Battery & Speed Tests on 3 Boats

 

I'm not a fisherman and I don't own a Gheenoe nor even an I/C marine motor, but if I were to get a planing motorized boat, it would probably be a Gheenoe.  They are great skinny-water craft -- a "canoe on steroids".   For their size, they're very stable while fishing, and also stable, dry, fast and efficient at speed.  They're light enough to be wrestled over sandbars or easily launched and towed -- and to be propelled by a small O/B or even a Torqeedo (especially the 15' model as seen in SkipperPea's Torqeedo test footage).  My sailing crewmate Tom, who's also a big shallow-water fisherman, has a larger Gheenoe with a big (excessively big) motor on the back and a bow-mounted trolling motor (many Gheenoes get fitted with a bow-mounted trolling motor).  I'm very proud of my small carbon footprint, but I'll guiltily admit that I had far too much fun with my buddy joyriding more than 100 miles around the NW Everglades' 10,000 islands in his Gheenoe -- some of it at >30kts and <1 foot of water, during a 20 boat Gheenoe messabout captured in his vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45krZd3dkQ  A most eclectic collection of people and their customized Gheenoes!

My buddy's video of his trip with some other Gheenoes
on the St. Johns River, not far from Titusville where Gheenoes are made, gives a much better sense of their impressive behavior at speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHtxWJCxiE

A well-designed, under-appreciated craft.

-Per



 


-----Original Message-----
From: skipperpea <mizpea@tampabay.rr.com>
To: electricboats <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 3:49 am
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Battery & Speed Tests on 3 Boats

 


Hey Roger:

Yes, a second Torqeedo T-1003 battery is next on our list after figuring out a lift for our gheenoe, but we might be saving for awhile. I remain amazed at how lightweight the battery is.

How long have you had your 403? Is your canoe a flatback? I think I read that the 403's are only 17 lbs (less than half the T-1003 w/battery) and it wasn't shown in the video but I also tried the canoe with the T-1003. The weight of the outboard was a bit much for the canoe because the gunwales flexed at any speed over 3 mph where the side-transom was attached, and caused the canoe to slide around. By the way, did you notice that the 15" 4" gheenoe is only 120 lbs, just slightly more than most canoes?

Also, we had a power outage at home a week ago, and we have an inverter, and we were suddenly wishing we could wire up the T-1003 battery in order to plug in a fan. It is, after all, August in SW Florida. I imagine that would void the warranty, though. Have you ever wished you could utilize your 403 battery for some secondary usage while camping?

If you are back in Florida this winter pls feel free to contact me directly through this group and my husband and I would love to show both of you the area & the gheenoe. We can trailer the gheenoe anywhere, too. I have to warn you though, once you try out the gheenoe with the T-1003 you will fall in love with this boat like we did.

Best,
Mrs.Peabody Jones

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Roger L" <rogerlov@...> wrote:
>
> I'd never heard of a "gheenoe" so had to look it up. Thanks for the new word!
>
> We carry our canoe dinghy along on a roof rack when we travel in the PU camper. You live in a nice area and we've become fond of the Florida State Parks and canoeing the rivers centered around St. Petersburg in the winter. We use a Torqeedo ultralight 403 which gives about 4 to 5 knots cruising speed....plenty for what we're doing. A battery tends to last all day, but I used to worry about finding my way back at night if it didn't. One solution to that is just buy a spare battery. All of a sudden the battery consumption just doesn't matter.
> Roger L.
> ....
> ..................
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: skipperpea
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 9:26 AM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Torqeedo Battery & Speed Tests on 3 Boats
>
>
> Hello:
>
> I understand that this site is primarily dedicated to sailboaters who install electric inboards. However, some might be interested in other applications. I recently purchased a Torqeedo T-1003.
>
> With the help of my husband and his best friend, we tested the Battery Range and Speed of the outboard on 3 boats: a Livingston catamaran tender, a canoe, and a gheenoe. I recorded the results here:
>
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1o2ms5_24&feature=em-share_video_user
>
> In case the link doesn't work, just google "YouTube Torqeedo Battery & Speed Tests on 3 Boats:"
>
> I am using the Torqeedo primarily for fishing around Weedon Island in St. Petersburg, FL. I also take our two dogs to a sandbar that is 3 miles from my dock; it's their favorite place in the world.
>
> One bit of info that is not in the video: I get about 20% more range with less weight in the boat, i.e when it's just me.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment