Tuesday, August 13, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Current state of affairs

 

Hi Jam,

Since you're at or near Victoria BC, perhaps you'd like to have a
look at the axial flux BLDC motor kits I've been making? My company
Turquoise Energy Ltd. is also a dealer for HES solar panels &c -
local pickup only (www.hespv.ca).

Cheers,
Craig
http://www.TurquoiseEnergy.com/

=====

>Thanks Eric,
>
>You make it sound doable!
>
>So the issue of the range is that where I am (Saanich inlet in
>Vancouver Island), the topography is islands, inlets and passages.
>Some of the passages that I have to go through have strong currents
>most of the time. Up to 7 knots. Even as a weekender, I can't always
>plan on their slack. So for one or two hours in each passage, I do
>need full power even under sail. The winds are very variable. On
>nice days when it's most enjoyable to sail, they come as gusts,
>punctuated by long periods of no wind. On stormy days (in Autumn,
>Winter and some of Spring) there is too much wind and many sailboats
>are wiser to stay at port.
>
>I think I can make the electric option work. I don't need too much
>power (except for the passages). Most of the time though just enough
>to get in and out of port.
>
>However, my boat is a blue water boat, and I would like at some
>point to take it far. I guess a good generator then is the way to
>go? Or perhaps keep the volvo and use it as the generator? At some
>point one of the vendors was suggesting it.
>
>How long do the lithium batteries last? When do you need a new set?

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment