Thursday, August 1, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: regen

 

Nick,

I agree and I'm glad you you made the distinction about charging the house batteries. We've had considerable discussion about regen capabilities and without sustained speeds over 6 knots, in-water generation appears to be limited to 100W or less, regardless of the collection system (dedicated generator or intalled drive system). That is reasonable for recharging a house bank, but really not effective at refilling a traction bank on a normal inland or coastal passage.

My system does regen, I see brief glimpses of less than 1A (50W) and probably averages just above 0.0 when sailing at 5-5.5kts. I figure that it's just gravy. A little free energy that allows me to spin my very draggy prop to no resistance all day without using any of the main storage.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina de Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Nick" <chernikit@...> wrote:
>
> On a sailboat, the sail is one big wind generator, and so underway it's quite simple to power an in-water generator towed or directly attached to the boat for house battery charging.
>
> Nick
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment