Friday, August 2, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Hello!

 

Hi Rob,

A Newport 30 with a displacement of less than 9000 lbs will be fine with a 5kW drive. You can buy a more powerful drive, but you will probably rarely use the extra power. My Bermuda 30 that displaces more than 10,000 lbs spends more than 95% of the time running at less than 3kW. Using more power can drain your batteries pretty fast.

There are a number of vendors that will sell you a bow full of parts that you get to adapt to your boat. Personally, I recommend getting an engineered system from one of the four vendors that have been part of this group for many years, I suggest that you check out Advanced Marine electric Propulsion, Annapolis Hybrid Marine, Electric Yacht and Propulsion Marine. Each of these vendors have a number of successful conversions represented by members of this group and have been supportive of the work being done by people here.

I personally chose Propulsion Marine based on my perception of price, performance and value and would recommend them highly. That said, I haven't heard of problems with any of these vendors. I do suggest that everybody considering converting to electric should do their own research and make the choice that fits them best.

Fair winds and smooth seas,
Eric
1964 Bermuda 30 ketch, 5.5kW Propulsion Marine drive, 8kWh Lithium batteries
Marina del Rey,CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "robertbuto" <robertbuto@...> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I am a new member of this group and just wanted to tell you a little about myself. I hope to meet many fellow electric enthusiasts here. I also hope to gain more knowledge about electric setups. I have a Newport 30 sailboat that I have just pulled the motor out of and am looking over possible electric replacements. I have seen a few different systems that are sold on ebay and have been on a few out here in SF Bay. There doesn't seem to be an end to the number of electric vendors out there. I wanted to know if someone could steer me toward the top 5 so that I could focus my investigations in that direction. I am looking for a electric system that is 48v and about 7.5kw or better. By no means am I savvy in electronic motor setups. I do have a little experience with solar panels, controllers and batteries. I put together a little system a few years back for a home out in the mountains. It worked well. We were able to power a refridgerator, house lights and an entertainment system. We also had a honda generator for those days that the sun wouldn't come out. In any case thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rob
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment