Sunday, August 11, 2013

[Electric Boats] just added some pics #2

 

under the title 'low tech / low $ speed O meter'

This is the new/improved model prompted by my first attempt shown in the photo album 'solar powered canoe' which showed a 12" bicycle wheel with 'fender washers' welded around the perimeter to act as a paddle wheel. There is also a $10 Walmart digital bicycle speedometer mounted on it that I never really calibrated. I just used it to measure 'relative speed' while switching between the number of panels feeding the 2 different trolling motors I was checking out.

So this new 'low tech' model hasn't been wired/tested yet but I'm sure it will work much better than the original in that it is smaller and with the enclosure it will be neither Loud or Splashy which the original set up was Very Mucho in both categories.

I started with your everyday lawn mower wheel that I made a dozen or so shallow cuts in with a jig saw, then glued in some 'fender washers' I'm sure anyone here can figure out how to mount the speedometer sending/receiving components so no need to go into that, uh?

Much more fun than a GPS setup and they sure start conversations at the lake.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment